Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Create Power Users in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

adspi81

MIS
Dec 30, 2004
MT
Anyone has got an idea of how to create a power user in Windows XP? I already know that if I use the control userpasswords2 command, I should be able to do that...but is there any other alternative to create a power user from the control panel without additional commands? If not, is there a way to get the control userpasswords2 window by mouse click instead of command?

Thanks Guys.

Why?

You can create a shortcut with control userpasswords2 (or lusrmgr.msc). Have you a requirement that means you have to access this from control panel?

(There's net localgroup from command prompt)

Add control userpasswords2 to the Control Panel options:

But likely you want this (a preferred way to assign the unlisted Groups in XP):

. Start, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Local Users and Groups

. or, as I do it, which you seem adverse to:
Start, Run, lusrmgr.msc

Best,
Bill

Just a suggestion, but if you dont want to type this at the command prompt - perhaps do it from a vbs script, that way you only need to double click on the file?
Suitable vbs code for this would be:

Dim PowerUser
Set PowerUser = WScript.CreateObject ("WSCript.shell")
PowerUser.run "control userpasswords2"
Set PowerUser = Nothing

Gurn3r,

My first link adds to the control panel the control userpasswords2 as a valid and clickable option and object.

I think for this user this is closer to what they want then adding a script.

I think the "Local Users and Groups" option, accesible as I described above, is a better choice than control userpasswords2 in any case.

Just my own thoughts.
Bill

bcastner:
When I started typing a response to adspi81 question there were no replies. After posting mine, I then saw Wolluf's and your response. I think your response is better myself too!

Thank you guys for your suggestions. Much appreciated. What I hate in Windows XP is that there are many 'hidden' commands rather than a straight-forward approach. The PCs I've installed WIndows XP on with more than one local account took me a lot of time. This is because certain programs do not install on all local user accounts and I had to install these programs per each user. This is a shame.
To tell everything, I first created the users and installed programs afterwards. Dunno if I should try installing everything first and create users afterwards (but I don;t think that solves the problem). By default, Windows XP allocates a standard user membership to limited users. These should all be changed to power users to allow installation rights.

Thanks Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back