Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create html pages with extended characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

moepower

Programmer
Oct 5, 2000
US
I'm interested in creating HTML pages with international (extended) characters on them. If possible, I don't want the user to have to download fonts in order to display the page. I saw some sites that were successfull in doing this and would like to find out more. Is there documentation or books that I can learn to do this. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

If you want to be sure all of your users can see exactly what you intended, the easiest way is to save your page as an image and then put it up.

Then again, if you do that, you're defeating the whole purpose of using HTML. It's non-searchable, bandwidth hogging, and downright icky. It does work in a pinch, though, but it's best saved for pinches.

My post, of course, was referring to saving your page as an image, not using extended characters...

Glowball,

That's correct. I want to use those special characters to develop my website.

My question is if I have a software that allows me to create document with those special characters -- I have to use its special fonts though. Is there a way I can make HTML using the same fonts and then display the page? I don't want to have to convert every letter on my page to HTML code.

Thanks,

If you're using software to create HTML pages, my guess is that it's already converting extended characters to decimal ASCII characters. If it isn't, there may be a setting that says something like "automatically convert special characters" (if you're using Allaire Homesite/Studio there is a setting in Configure...).

Are you just worried about the random trademark or degree symbol or are you doing something with Wingdings or some math font? If you're going all out with *really* special characters then the above posts may be right, you may have to convert to an image and display that. I think there are special applications out there that address things like math equations and such, but it's on a case-by-case basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back