Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to create dynamic drop down list for each level of a dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sympa

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
FR
Hi everyone,

Actually I am trying to create several drop down lists which are dependents. Each drop down list holds data of different level of a dimension. For example it's about the "Product" dimension which has a hierarchy like that: Product Category -> Product Line -> Product;

Therefore, we will have 3 drop lists : L1, L2 and L3 which contains members of Product Category, Product Line and Product. For example, if I select "A" in L1, only the children of "A" will be displayed in L2.

I used the MDX and program things in ASP but the performance is too bad. Maybe it's because I'm a newbie in MDX and ASP. Does someone has already done something like that? Thanks in avance.

Hi
Have you tried with ADOMD.Level or ADOMD.Member object?

They are objects with properties inherited of MDX. Level has : description, members ( children of them, count, collection of child,...), and its recursive
Something like,

Dim oCon As ADOMD.Catalog
Dim oMember As ADOMD.Member
Dim oLevel As ADOMD.Level

Set oCon = New ADOMD.Catalog
oCon.ActiveConnection = "Provider=MSOLAP.2;Data Source= 'CubeServer' ;Initial Catalog= 'CubeCatalog'"

Set olevel = con.CubeDefs('CubeName').Dimensions("Product").Hierarchies("").Levels(Product Category)

I hope it will be useful
al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back