Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a user account without using admintool and useradd cmd

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvramohan

Technical User
Sep 24, 2000
NZ
SOLARIS
I want to create a user account in solaris without using admintool and useradd command.
---------------------------------------------------------
SCO UNIX
And also useraccount in sco unix without using scoadmin and useradd command.

-RAMS

[sig][/sig]

u can directly edit passwd file of etc directory & make copy of existing any user & just change username & user id to next userid..& then save the file & assign passwd useing passwd command ..the user will be added..
Regards
subhash [sig][/sig]

Don't forget to create an entry in /etc/shadow for the account. Be very careful if editing these files directly. A mistake can leave you with a server that you cannot boot or log into. It is much safer to use the useradd command.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to avoid using useradd? [sig]<p> Andy Bold<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>"I've probably made most of the mistakes already, so hopefully you won't have to..." Me, most days.[/sig]

Also, don't forget the /etc/group for a new user. File access and software verification errors may pop up.

Tim [sig][/sig]

And before you do any of this make sure you have a working emergency boot disk set with valid /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow on them and the encrypted stuff if you have higher security.
[sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

I would listen to Andy if I were you, one of my younger colleagues got lazy last week and could not be bothered using tools, he accidently changed the root shell to something that did not exist. As a consequence we could not login as root. Luckily I had a session already running and was able to correct the error. I have seen numerous other examples as well. I find that using the Unix tools not only provides verification of changes, it gives me peace of mind.

I am currious as well as to why you do not want to use useradd? [sig]<p>Ged Jones<br><a href=mailto:gedejones@hotmail.com>gedejones@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Top man[/sig]

Just to clear up any possible confusion, as well, remember that you will need &quot;root&quot; privileges to do any of this, including using the relevant tools. So, if you're trying to do this to sneak a user in without the System Admin knowing, you will be out of luck...

Sorry if I'm sounding paranoid and suspicious :) [sig]<p> Andy Bold<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>"I've probably made most of the mistakes already, so hopefully you won't have to..." Me, most days.[/sig]

You're sounding paranoid & suspicious. I'm getting bad vibes also. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back