Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a "local" webpage enviornment....intranet not allowed. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavery

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
US
How can I use HTML (or any web related page) without using a server? I'll try to explain better....

My IS department wont allow an intranet yet, maybe 3-5 years down the line. So I was thinking of a local development, where users (about 100) can access the web and all its data (which also needs to be able to update, print reports, query, requery..just like Access).

Key thing is, where would the local be stored at? thats the big question and also is it worth it? should I wait? or is it possible?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Clark

Edward,
Whats the advantages of using an MDE file?....instead of the normal Access Database? I do understand theres no code, so it might be faster. But why MDE vs. Web? I'm not that familiar with mde and its uses.

Thanks,
Clark

You can drop me an email here at work:

johnsonr@rayovac.com (sorry, no free batteries, they're too expensive to mail!)

-Rob

The main advantage of an MDE over an MDB is that the code has been removed and reports/form design cannot be accessed, so:

1) Users can't accidentally change anything they shouldn't have access to.

2) Any code that falls over won't open in the code editor/debugger with the line causing the error highlighted.

3. The code will be 'compiled' (if you can call it that) so it will run slightly faster than if the code were in source form. You can do this in an MDB by Compiling Modules, but if anything gets changed it becomes uncompiled again and the performance is a little slower.

John

Clark,

Thanks for writing back.

Multiple users canot monkey with the same Access database. That's why we use an MDE form of the database. This is a multiple user intrface onto an Access database.

We were able to have a multiple-user database (which had really nice forms and a switchboard already) functioning on the network in, oh, fifteen minutes. This included setting up directories, changing the shares, and notifying the users to make a shortcut on their desktop.

The MDE file allows that multiple access to forms, reports, and queries. It does NOT allow for form design, or any kind of form editing thing. It's really ideal when you want many people to work with an Access database, but you only want one "Admin".

This is why I perked up when you mentioned that your primary goal was to hook multiple users up to an Access database. If you want to do other webbish things, then you might be fine going for an ordinary collection of HTML pages on the network.

You can also do another thing I've done, which is -- on my "Do database work" page, simply put a plain old HTML link to the networked MDE file. If you're all internal, it'll work just fine, your net admins won't grouse about setting up a server, you're relying on technology that already exists and that you've already mastered (except for the part where you are in Access and select Tools >> Database Tools >> Export MDE file, which you can see is waaaaay complicated. [smile])

Anyway, that seems like the quickest and easiest way for you to get a multiple-user database out on your network with an HTML front end, with an absolute minimum of coding.

Oh, John's answered this, too. [lol] We just want to get you runnin', dude!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Like Lovecraft? Know Photoshop? Got time for the Unspeakable?

I guess my ultimate goal would to relinquish the Access Database and develop/create a intranet based system,(without the help of my IS dept). From your very descriptive post I have envisioned this order:
1)Access database
2)MDE
3)WEB/HTML

If that is correct...I'm also working with the old and worn out, Access 98, yes, we are behind the times here!

2 stars, Thanks and please give/send any other advice that might be deemed helpful for my cause!
Clark

There is no such product as Access 98. 97, 2000 and 2002 exist for Windows. There was an Office 98 for the Mac, but there has never been a Mac version of Access for some reason known only to Bill Gates et al.

Ed, all of the data is currently in Access 97, but I'm exploring a new method for tracking our current problems. Access was the best method 5 years ago but now HTML was a thought. My problem relies on no support from IS, atleast not until they are ready to implement the intranet to our department 4-5 years from now. Since I'm the only programmer here, theres also a lack of manpower along with budget...so many issues!

Clark

Clark, In response to your last post about you using Access 97... if you develop your forms in html/asp, you can make your user interface independent of what kind of Database system you have.

using ADO, you can connect to any kind of database (Access, SQL, mySQL...) Code for queries and forms are all the same. the only thing different is one line of code for the connection string used to access the databse. (a really AWESOME page for consolidated programming reference is which includes syntax, descriptions, and examples for asp, html, javascript, css, ado, etc..)

I'm kind of in the same situation as you (putting together an internet out of spare parts and no support). And actually have launched a company web based intranet on a mickey mouse server (an old refurbished machine out of left overs)

My test case was built on IIS 5.0 running on Winddows 2k Workstation on a Pentium II 233Mhz Machine with 128mb of ram. It worked fine for 2-3 users... I'm sure if your machine packs a little more punch than mine you will do fine.

Between me and my boss, we worked "under the radar" and put together an intranet out of our spare time... and now... five months later today, and a hand-me-down 750 Mhz workstation as a server (w2k server came with it) for under 600 bux, we launch our intranet. And if it is popular, the demand for it will be more than enough justification for investment in real equipment and software!

I'm sure if you can find a machine with windows 2k pro, (which comes with IIS 5.0) you can have a pretty decent intranet going.

Earnie Eng
If you are born once, you will die twice.
If you are born twice, you will die once

If you have more than a few people accessing the system (even with ASP/HTML based views) an Access database won't cut it.
Especially Access 97 and older which support only very few simultaneous users.

You'd really need something more powerful, like a fullblown database server (which may already be available).

But I wouldn't go towards running web- and database servers on your department subnetwork (or your personal machine) without the consent of the responsible IT department.
They're unlikely to like you for it and may shut you down in a blink for violating security and network stability (whether true or not, they can easily make that stick).

Best to do is lobby with those who tell the IT guys what to do for permission to set up a sort of intranet. That way they should have to accept your solution and help out.
Until then, you had best stick with a directory full of static HTML which you can generate using a batchjob from Access at regular intervals (might have to upgrade to a newer Access version than Access97 for that, but that product is out of support anyway...).

IS department wont put up a simple computer with apache on it for ya? I could do that in 1 hour. Why 3-5 years? That's ridculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back