Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to create a new user in sqlplus(oracle8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

signalsystems

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
I would like someone assistance in creating a new user.
I have looged in as a system DBA,below it's an example of
of the errors.

SQL> create user excellence
2 identified by oracle123
3 default tablespace users
4 temporary tablespace temp;
create user excellence
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-28003: password verification for the specified password failed
ORA-20003: Password should contain at least one digit, one character and one punctuation

Please,a clear and comprehensive answer will be greatly appreciated
email:fthezard@hotmail.com

check if there is a password verification function attached to your user profile ?

The Oracle password complexity verification routine is applied on your default profile.

The password complexity verification routine performs the following checks:

The password has a minimum length of four.
The password is not the same as the username.
The password has at least one alpha, one numeric, and one punctuation mark character.
The password is not a simple or obvious word, such as welcome, account, database, or user.
The password differs from the previous password by at least 3 characters.
Robbie

"The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided" -- Art of War

forgive my ignorance.I am currently learning oracle.my question is how do I check if there is a password attached to my user profile?.This is in response to ManjulaMandhu suggestion.
I have tried different combination of password such as letters,numbers,and characters.It still not working

I think u should delete the profile because u r still learning oracle.
Or you should alter the profile and disable password verification function.
You can see this on about any oracle book.

you can verify with your dba about the name of the function . you need to know the name of the function to disable it, as zeelovesu advised.

>>forgive my ignorance.I am currently learning oracle.my >>question is how do I check if there is a password >>attached to my user profile?.

Query DBA_PROFILES and check resource_name and limit columns to see if it is set for a particular profile. Since you are creating a user without specifyin the profile, you are actually using the DEFAULT profile.

To chaeck the name of the function used by DEFAULT profile, checkout $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/UTLPWDMG.SQL script to see the default function.

If you want to disable it, I suggest you create another profile with PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION equals NULL then assign your user to this profile.

Robbie

"The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided" -- Art of War

Thanks everyone!I have finally created the user/password.
I had to select a TMPTS1 as a defualt from tablespace_name

Please a clear and precise information will be appreciated

Thanks,
course of action: inserting data into a table field already created .
I have used the following statement to
insert data.

insert into table retired
values (column1_John);

This is the table created

SQL> desc retired;
Name Null? Type
----------------------------------------- -------- --------------
FNAME NOT NULL CHAR(20)
ID NOT NULL CHAR(8)
CITY NOT NULL CHAR(20)
STATE NOT NULL CHAR(20)
AGE NOT NULL NUMBER(3)
SALARY NOT NULL NUMBER(12,2)

Sorry, I am not really sure what you are asking. But if you are just trying to insert a record in a table, it is something like:

INSERT INTO TableName (FieldName1, FieldName2)
VALUES (ValueForFieldName1, ValueForFieldName2);

If you are pulling data from one table into another:

INSERT INTO TableName1 (FieldName1, FieldName2)
SELECT ValueForFieldName1, ValueForFieldName2
FROM TableName2;

If that is not what you are looking for, please be more "clear and concise"... Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

Assuming that column1_John is a variable defined above and that you're trying to insert its value into FNAME field, this may work:

insert into table retired(FNAME)
values (column1_John);

Though, I suppose you should provide also values for other fields. Regards, Dima

Hi signalsystems,

If you just use :
insert into table ..values...

Oracle looks for all the values to be provided for all the columns in the table. you have 6 columns in the table retired, so you need to specify 6 values.
If you just want to insert value for one column , then use:
insert into table(col1) values (val1); in which case, the values for the columns not specified will be given null values.
As your table retired has all the columns as "not null", you need to specify values for all the columns in the insert statement.
insert into table retired values ("val1","val2","val3","val4",val5,val6);
or you can use
insert into table retired(col1,col2,col3,col4,col5,col6) values ("val1","val2","val3","val4",val5,val6);

Both the statements evaluate same. Its not necessary to explicitly specify the column names if you are inserting values for all columns. You have to remember that, values will correspond to the order of columns specified in the table structure. ie. val1 -fname, val2 - id and so on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back