Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a custom tool bar from external file

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexthageek

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2002
US
Its me again working on an Elementary Browser.

My application is working great, no problems with it. However, I have already recieved requests to have links added and some removed from the application.

I have a toolbar with various buttons on it, for elementary students to visit websites. Each button has its own image and when clicked the resulting website is displayed in the browser control.

you can view a screenshot of the browser here:

If you look at the 2nd Toolbar I would like to have that toolbar created from an outside xml file or config file so all I would have to do is change the file to add, remove, or change a button, without recompiling the application everytime.

I am a .NET newbie, so im not sure if this is possible.

Thanks in Advance,
Mike

The best way to do this: (do not need xml file, just a single text file with extension ...eg .dat).

You have to follow some rules:

There is going to exist one line of numbers (in the dat file in application.startuppath) seperated with commas, eg 4,7,3,8

You'll read this line from the file and store it in string variable. Then split it with delimiter "," into an Array Arr.

Then as form loads you will make visible the fourth, seventh, third and eighth item in the toolbar. Of course you have to make the items in the bar arrays

Do you know if there is a tutorial somewhere or an example I could look at.

Thanks
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back