Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to create a backup server

Status
Not open for further replies.

arshad1980

Technical User
May 20, 2003
SA
Sir,
I have a win 2000 server with sql 2000 server installed on it which is having my company database,i have 150 users who enter data via a vb software which gets in to my sql server database.

I am fearing that suppose anytime my sql server fails due to any reason whatsoever then i don't have it's immediate solution.
that is why i planeed to have a backup server ,so can any 1 tell me is there any way to keep 2 sql server with the same name on a single network and data is synchronized on both of them simultaneously...

Plz write the solution in detail.
Waiting for an early response.
Rgds.
Mohammad Arshad.
INDIA

Your options are Clustering, Replication and Log Shipping. Based on cost, complexity and needed uptime, each one has its plus and minuses.

Take a look at BOL (Books Online) to educate yourself on these topsics and then you can plan the best plan of attack that fits your needs.

Thanks

J. Kusch

You could also just have a server reserved to install the latest backup if you don't mind losing some data - the server you use to test backups is good for this (you do do that?).

Another option is to change the app to write to two servers so that they are kept in step from the client side.

This is the sort of thing that should have been thought about when the system was designed.

======================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

Hi,

You can create up to 16 named instances on SQL 2000 server, but only one default instance. I would recommend, if possible, run a new install and create two named instances. This way, you can set up log shipping on the production instance and simply copy any changes to the secondary, backup instance. You can go back and wipe out the initial setup and just maintain the named instances.

Hope this helps.

Maria

I'd go with the two-box log shipping solution. Our production server's RAID controller puked last week. Wouldn't matter if there were 1600 instances on that box; it was hosed. Nice to have 1) the log shipping box, and 2) Veritas BACKUP EXEC for SQL !

We're looking into VM and clustering; will report after we get something up in the lab.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Web Developer
IIMAK
-----------
Boy howdy, my Liberal Studies degree really prepared me for this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back