Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to creat the logical volume on a new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

linlin

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
US
Hi everyone:

I'm trying to creat logical volume on my new hp10.20 machine.
Can some one show me the steps.

Lin

Hi Linlin,

First of all , you need to decide whether you are going to mirror your logical volume.

I would agree with Antistatic that SAM is the easiest method of doing so, but SAM has some limitations.

Create your mountpoint manually. (#mkdir /mountpoint)
If you already have a volume group for your new logical volume to be added to, Choose Disks and File Systems, Logical Volumes, Actions, Add.... if you don't have a volume group with space to put your new LV in, you need to create the volume group first. Bear in mind that to create a mirrored logical volume, there has to be twice as much space in the volume group available as the required logical volume size.
SAM will look after creating the filesystem automatically and will even mount it.
I can't remember if SAM automatically edits /etc/fstab, or if you will have to do it, also remeber adding your new filesystem to your backup.

If creating by command line

1 - is to create your mountpoint
#mkdir /mountpoint

If the volume group does not already exist

2 - Designate the relevant disk(s) as LVM physical volumes
#pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c*t*d*
3 - Create a directory and group file for the new volume group
#cd /dev
#mkdir vg** (where ** is your chosen volume group name)
#mknod /dev/vg**/group c 64 0x10000
4 - Create a volume group (VG)
#vgcreate /dev/vg** /dev/dsk/c*t*d* [/dev/dsk/c*t*d* and so on for as many disks are to be added to the volume group, if mirroring across controllers you need to define lvmpvg's - see the man pages]

If the volume group already exists start here

5 - Create the required LV
#lvcreate -L size /dev/vg**
6 - Create the filesystem
#newfs -F filesystemtype /dev/vg**/rlvol*
7 - mount the filesystem
#mount -F filesystemtype /dev/vg**/lvol* /mountpoint
8 - add details to /etc/fstab if you want the filesystem automatically mounted at boottime or when a mountall command is executed.
9 - Add the filesystem to your backups if required.

There are lots of additional switches to the pvcreate, vgcreate, lvcreate, newfs commands, read the man pages prior to doing this if not using SAM.
At 11.00, the ability to mirror across controllers is available by using Logical Volume manager Physical Volume Groups (LVMPVG) - not sure if available at 10.20, should you require it.

That's it, would appreciate other members proof reading - hope that some of this may prove of help

Regards
Queenie

"not sure if available at 10.20," - it is available, allegedly Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back