Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to copy XP HD, FAT32 to NTFS and stay Bootable? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daldous

Technical User
Feb 23, 2002
US

I am replacing a 8 Gigabyte HD (C: drive) with a 80 Gigabyte drive. The current drive is formatted FAT32 and has WIN XP PRO as a OS. The new drive is formatted NTFS and is currently empty.

Question: How do I transfer the data across different formats; FAT32 to NTFS, and still make a valid, bootable copy on the new, larger drive?

I bought V-Com's "Copy Commander" V7 -- It couldn't make a bootable copy of XP with both HDs formatted FAT32 and it took nearly 4 hours to copy 6 gigabytes!

I have heard Norton's Ghost might work??

Thanks, daldous

Have a look here :
I wouldn't worry about whether the drive is formatted or not. The various packages will normally do that for you. You will then have your old 8GB data as a partition on the new 80GB drive. You will then be able to vert from FAT32 to NTFS using the convert command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Thanks for the info!! What utility do I use to make a bootable copy?

Thanks, daldous

Copy the content of HDDDDDDDDDDDDDs
thread779-927837

Add new drive as C
thread779-933334

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back