Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to copy share permissions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urnen

Technical User
Oct 16, 2003
NL
Hi, I want to copy my currenct file-server to another server with more capacity. i only ran into the following problem :

when i want to copy all files/folders, i do not copy all the permissions with it. so that would mean i have to set share permissions all over again.

Is there an easy way to copy the entire folder tree so i do NOT have to set all permissions all over again?

I hope i explained my problem clear enough, if not let me know and i'll try to give a more detailed description.

Greetings Urnen

Copies always inherit. Additionally, when the source and destination are on different NTFS drives or partitions, the object(s) will always inherit the attributes of the destination folder. This happens regardless of whether you are copying or moving.

If you move a folder within the same partition/drive, file attributes remain the same, regardless of the properties of the destination.

Patty [ponytails2]

So it is impossible to make the folders inherit the attributes of the source folder instead of the destination folder? because i am copying to a different ntfs drive.

Do a backup of the files and restore them to the desired location. This is the only way to preserve shares/permissions.

I had to do the same thing recently. I used Robocopy from the W2k Resource kit. Does the job just fine.

Check out xcopy, included with Windows:
/O Copies file ownership and ACL information.
/X Copies file audit settings (implies /O).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back