Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to copy all sheets in an exel file 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccprgrmr

Programmer
Jul 7, 1999
US
Is there a procedure to copy an excel file from winfile/explorer to another location and in doing so copying all of the sheets from the original file to the copied file. I am attempting to copy last years budget into a new year, but copying is only copying the active sheet. Any suggestions.
John Garrison
ccdp@socket.net

That is what was done, but the only thing that is copied was the highlighted active sheet... the file has 5 sheets, but only one of the sheets makes it to the copied file.
John Garrison
ccdp@socket.net

I think that Porter was suggesting that you open the file and do a SaveAs to a different filenname.

Hi John,

I am responding to your post because you have not yet indicated that you have resolved your problem. (If indeed you HAVE, then you should post a response, and probably also give the contributor a "STAR".

My recommended solution is the same as "Porter's". ...i.e. to simply copy the file from one folder to the other using Explorer.

In your response to "Porter", you said you had done exactly what he suggested. However, you also mentioned that "the only thing that is copied was the highlighted active sheet".

When a file is copied in Explorer, the ENTIRE file is ALWAYS copied - including ALL SHEETS, no matter how many sheets the file contains. The ONLY reason this might NOT have happened seems to be as a result of you having had the file open, and had the ONE sheet HIGHLIGHTED at the same time.

Therefore, to resolve the problem, and any FUTURE similar problems, you should establish a practice of ONLY using ONE of the methods (Excel or Explorer) - i.e. do not "MIX" the two methods. If using the Excel method, simply use "Save As" (WITHOUT highlighting anything). If using Explorer, simply copy (Control - C) and Paste (Control - V).

Regarding Explorer, here is another TIP. Especially when copying MULTIPLE numbers of files, it can be very useful to open TWO Explorer Windows (at the same time).

Some users do not know that this is possible, but indeed it IS. Some users also do not know that the SIMPLEST method of opening an Explorer Window is to use "Window - E" - i.e. hold down the "Window" key and hit "E".

Then, I would suggest you "shape" the windows so that both are visible without overlapping each other. You can then easily identify and copy files from one window to the other.

I hope these tips have been helpful.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Window-E...
Great one. I didn't know that existed.

Thanks, that solved the problem, plus the fact the files were open when copied I found out later in investigating what was actually going on.

Thanks for all your help - everyone.

John Garrison
John Garrison
ccdp@socket.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back