Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Convert Sender's Addresses From Exchange 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyg

Technical User
May 21, 2002
AU
Hi, I am setting up an Exchange 2000 Server for a company (Domain: blablabla.com.au). There are some users who will have internet email addresses (e.g. user1@blablabla.com.au), while the others will only have local email addresses(e.g. user2@local.blablabla.com.au).

These internal users usually are members of a group, which has an internet address, say group1@blablabla.com.au.

The goal is, to allow all the users be able to receive emails from internet via personal internet addresses or group internet addresses. When send emails out to internet, all internal users, should always show their group address as sender's, therefore, when outside person click on "reply", messages will go back to the group's mailbox instead of going to the local address - which is invalid on the internet anyway.

I have been using Recipients Policy to set up everyone's email address as @local.blablabla.com.au. Then I have given internet users their @blablabla.com.au addresses as primary one. This way (inspired by MS's tips), I sort of got around the internet address vs. local address problem. However I am stuck at converting local address to an valid internet address when the message goes out of the domain.

Any suggestion and tips are much appreciated.

There are 4 of us in the IT department, we have an IS mail box that uses Outlook rules to notify us of new mail. We also all have delegate rights on the mailbox so we can specify the IS account in the From box.

There are more rules in Outlook for the IS mailbox that checks for our individual tag lines, if it finds mine, it sends me the mail because it then knows I am already working on the problem. At the same time we copy that RE message into a folder named RE. This way if I am out of the office someone else can pick up the message from there.

Thanks ISGuyAtlanta. Sorry for the late reply. I have been playing with the different solutions.

In the end, I have decided to set up 2 SMTP email addresses for the whole group. Being internal users, they are assigned an internal email address and rest are assigned proper internet addresses. Then I blocked the internal addresses going out by setting Relay restrictions. I have also delegate "Send As" rights to the group address those internal users belong to.

Although I can't achieve the original goal - to automatic translate the internal address to a valid internet address, I sort of got around the problem.

Thanks for your tips.

Jenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back