Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to convert numeric entities for emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

commun1

Programmer
May 26, 2004
DE
hey there,

first of all Happy New Year to you all ;-)

I use an old Homesite-Version (Texteditor, no WYSIWYG) which cannot display any chars that are not ISO-8859-1, so what I did was to use any numeric entities such as ş ... so it is displayed correctly. But how do I get these chars displayed correctly in emails without converting the email to html?

not sure whether this is a php topic?

but can't you just set the charset of the email (in the content-type header element ) before you send it?

uh sorry for not being precise...

I'm using PHP's mail()-function to send emails from my web server and my code already includes the character references... I was asking for a way to send a textemail in plain format but replacing the html chars so that it gets UTF-8 for example...

thanks in advance

so you want <b>Bold text</b> to be received as just "Bold Text"? and you are not using "<b>" literals but their numeric equivalent (prefixed with ampersand)?

yes, but I'm not talking about regular HTML-Tags but language-specific special characters.

actually it's a turkish website I'm currently programming and it's code has paragrahps with chars like &#351; &#305; in it...

I want these chars to be converted to an encoded form so that outlook (or whatsoever) can display the php parsed mail correctly...

something like an html2utf-function or alike...

sorry for being slow.

if I have properly understood what you want, i think that utf8_encode() might be what you are after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back