Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to convert brushes to paths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bside

Programmer
Dec 12, 2002
ES
Hi,
is there any way to convert the brush objets to "real" paths?

I need to export files created with brushes to Autocad,
and of course it does no export the brush objects correctly.
Therefore I need to translate the brush to path...

Thanks!

Select the brush path, go to Object > Expand Appearance. That should do the trick!

Waw! :-O
I did'nt know this option! Is it new in I10?
By the way, is it possible to change a dashed line into diferent strokes?

I.E. I've got a file which has handreds of circles that have been created using the dash stroke tool with round corners, this means that in fact I have just several lines instead of "real circles"...

Is it another trik to get the outline path from it?

Thanks!
Dani.

Try Object > Flatten Transparancy. Move the slider to Vectors and check the box that says 'Convert All Strokes to Outlines'. For some reason, Expand doesn't seem to work on dashed lines, but I don't know why!

Ok, thanks!
Does'nt work perfectly (at least in my case) but could help...

Dani.

Hi bside,

Dis is my first time trying to help out, so here goes:

Try this for your first problem: If you have a normal stroke (real path) object nearby,
1. highlight the 'brushed' object;
2. select the droper tool, your pointer should become a dropper icon now;
3. Place the 'dropper' pointer over the normal path object and click with your mouse.
4. Voila! Your stroked object should now take on the look of the real path (including colour, line weight, etc)
5. Extra tip: It works for text string as well. try it! I had a lot of fun!

For the second problem with the doted lines:
Go to window on the menu bar and make sure you have the Show Stroke window open.

If you can locate it on your desktop, you will notice that there are many options like line weight (i am sure you know this) but on the right hand side are six buttons to choose from. Those combination will determine the look of the ends of the strokes.
Below that is this box for you to check which says 'dashed line'. Select that and you can determine the dashes and gaps you want for the paths you draw (Morse Codes??!? :)). Increase the line weight to see what i mean.

Hopefully i didn't confuse the matter and have been of help.

Cheers!

PS: BTW, i am still on AI 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back