Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to convert Autocad in Photoshop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

misirlou

Technical User
Mar 7, 2002
US
Hi,

I am laying out a catalog that requires some technical illustrations done in Autocad. Eventually these have to end up in Quark in a compatible format, but I am wondering if anyone knows or has some tips about how to convert these things in Photoshop into a tif, eps, or whatever, and what mode and resolution they should be. So far everything I've tried is looking like absolute crap in Quark, and in some cases not working at all. Any ideas would be very appreciated...

Thanks,
misirlou

Hi,
I think that maybe Photoshop is not the application you should use. I have alot of success using CorelDraw to import a variety of file formats including Autocad and similar type of formats ie dxf, cgm, igs etc. Once you import into CorelDraw you can then export the drawings out as tif to enhance in Photoshop and then they will place into Quark or Illustrator. Just a suggestion.

Ah...I didn't think about that...I don't have CorelDraw but I think someone here does. I will try that...thanks for the tip!

-misirlou

I convert AutoCad to image files all the time, almost daily. I use CorelDRAW, but Illustrator works as well.

Have the CAD converted over to DXF, open in CorelDRAW, then export to TIF or EPS. TIF can be edited in Photoshop, EPS helps maintain transparency. Either format will work, and both are recommended formats for images in Quark or Pagemaker. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Dealing with importing of 2-dimensionel drawings:
-I recommend you to asign a thickness to all shapes and lines in AutoCad.
-Export the drawing as an .eps -file.
-Open the .eps in Photshop.
-Apply a backround layer.
-To sharpen the imported drawing, use the adjustment tool "Levels".

Dealing with importing of a 3-dimensionel drawing made of solids:
-Set up your drawing in "Model space".
-Try to use the command "DV" ( = Dview) to make a parallel projection or perspective view.
-Use the tool "Setup profile" to make the drawing 2-dimensionel.
-Now you can asign thicknes and export as .eps.

From KBBJ (-:

Yes,

I did fail to mention that it is important to assign a thickness to all lines. I generally use .5 or 1.0 pt for the types of drawings I import. You will have to fudge around with the thickness until you find what works, but .216 will not reproduce well. Voice of experience.

If you decide to do the line changes from within AutoCAD, I shouldn't have to say this but make sure you save as, or you will have drawings that are unusable for CAD purposes. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back