Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to convert a VFP report to Fax format

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorFRodriguez

Programmer
Jan 20, 2001
DO
I need to know is there any way to convert a .FRX into fax format, as it is done to ASCII format.

Set up fax support on the computer and print to the
fax printer. You'll need to get a handle to
the property page of the fax printer and set the
output properties(i.e. recipient, fax#, etc.)

I hope this is what you are trying to accomplish.

Darrell

'We all must do the hard bits so when we get bit we know where to bite' :)

What I need is to convert the report print into a .TIF document so that I may send it with the fax software that comes with Windows NT.

Victor,
a .TIF is an image file, mostly produced by a scanner.
as far as I know there is no way to produce such a document out of VFP Report ...

wilfredo

I used VFP6. I tried to see what happenend and, ... functioned!!

I just did: REPORT FORM myReport TO faxdoc.TIF

The file was recognised by the fax software in Windos 2000.
So, this is the response to my question.

Victor,

Are you sure that worked?

I think that all you have done is to create a print file with a TIF extension. If you try to open the file in a TIF viewer or graphics editor, I bet that you get an "invalid file format" error.

Of course, if your fax software can read the file, that's fine. Your problem is solved. But I would be extremely surprised if it is a genuine TIF file.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

I opened the file with Kodak Imaging and it is a real .TIF file.
I know it is incredible but it is true.

Victor F. Rodriguez
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Victor,

Well, I just tried to do exactly the same thing, in both VFP 6 and 7. The TIF file was generated, but when I tried to open it with Kodak Imaging, I saw the message "The document's format is invalid or unsupported".

I don't know how you did it, but I think you have stumbled across something very interesting.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Might be very interesting. what fax-prog do you use?

wilfredo

The purpose of my question arised from my need to send fax with the fax software that comes with Win 2000/NT.

In another question, somebody answered how to send fax within VFP. The example was for faxing MS-WORD document. So, I want a VFP report to fax.

In the following example you can send a VFP report to fax after converting the REPORT FORM into a .TIF document. In my program works fine.

--------------------
* I have an open table with the data I need to send

LOCAL oErr, loFaxServer, loFaxDocument
LOCAL loDir, lnI, lnRecip, lnRecipCnt

lcFaxNum="6876536"

lcTmpDoc = "faxdoc.TIF"
lnRecipCnt = "Atencion: General Manager"
loFaxServer=CREATEOBJECT('faxserver.faxserver')
loFaxServer.CONNECT( '\\'+ALLTRIM(LEFT(SYS(0),AT('#',SYS(0))-1) ) )

STORE RECNO() TO nRecno

REPORT FORM MyReport FOR RECNO()=nRecno TO faxdoc.TIF

GO nRecno

* THIS.CurrentAction = 'Creating Fax Document (fmi)'
loFaxDocument = loFaxServer.createdocument(lcTmpDoc)

loFaxDocument.faxnumber = lcFaxNum
* loFaxDocument.displayname = THIS.oMsg.DESC
loFaxDocument.filename = lcTmpDoc
loFaxDocument.sendcoverpage = .F.

* Send it Off!
* (you should see Word open briefly and print the document,
* then the Microsoft Fax icon should show up in the system tray
* and try to send the fax!)
loFaxDocument.SEND

loFaxServer.Disconnect
RELEASE loFaxDocument, loFaxServer
* --------------- END --------------------

For me works fine. This was done with Windows 2000 NT operating system. My next step is to do the same with
Windows 98 or 95 with the Microsoft Fax.
If you have any idea how to do it, I expect the answer.

Victor F. Rodriguez
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

VictorFRodriguez

An alternative method would be to install a postscript driver, print the report to a postscript file and then use Ghostscript to convert the postscript file to a .tiff.

FAQ184-2483 - the answer to getting answered.​
Chris [pc2]

Victor,

I'd still like to know how you managed to create a TIFF file. I haven't been able to reproduce your method.

Can I ask you: What printer driver were you using when you did this? I can only assume that it was some special driver which creates TIFF files. Is that possible?

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

The only printer driver in the PC where I have done this is the "Fax" that comes with Windows 2000. It is the only Printer in the Print Dialog.
Victor F. Rodriguez / Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

That's quite a find...I'm not totally sure what all the applications for such a feature would be, but my head is already awhirl with possibilities. Gonna find some time today and see if I can create a tiff as outlined in this thread. Wanna see what it looks like quality-wise.

Slighthaze = NULL

slighthaze

Whilst a .tiff is being created by the Fax driver, the file has a low spec with only 204 pixels/inch and is only suitable for faxing.

Any colour images are converted to greyscale - if you want to produce high quality images from a VFP report, try the Ghostscript option described earlier in the thread where you can produce a .tiff or other raster file type in 24 bit colour.

ps, you'll need plenty of disk space - a single page .tiff can be nearly a 100 mg depending on what resolution you selected! [dazed]

FAQ184-2483 - the answer to getting answered.​
Chris [pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back