Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to convert a MS Word table (.doc) to MS Access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yunyunliang

Programmer
Apr 23, 2003
US
I am trying to convert my tables in .doc files into MS ACCESS. Does anybody know a way to do that? Thanks

I don't do this often, so there might be a better way, but I have found that I have the least amount of problems if I convert the table to text, with the columns separated by tabs, save the file as a .txt file (as opposed to a .doc) and import it into Access. Access (using a wizard) will do most everything for you. Its pretty easy.

Good luck

I've done this frequently. Convert the word table to a csv (comma separated value) file. You can do this by selecting the table, then from the main menu select Table|Convert|Table to Text and in the popup window select other and put a , in the little box. Save the output file as mydoc.txt.

Open Access. Add a new table. Select Import from the New Table popup window. In Files of Type, select Text Files. Locate the file you just saved as mydoc.txt and import it. The Import Text window will open. Select "Delimited" and click Next. The wizard will put your data into fields either named from your table headings, or named by Access. If these look OK, click Finish. If they don't, you can continue through the wizard to clean up the data, or go back to your original table and clean it up there first and reconvert it again.

Roz

This all works if Word table doesn't have paragraphs inside the cells. If it does, what do I do? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back