Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to control movie files in web form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gixonita

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2005
US
Hi all,

I've been requested to develop an intranet training web site in which the employees:

Step 1.- Log into main page and get a list of training videos
they have access to. (Done)

Step 2.- Choose video, play to completion, print certificate.
(Incomplete)

Step 3.- Update database. (Done)

I tried to simplify the steps a lot just to give an idea. On step 2 I've found several articles that tell me how to embed the player and play the videos, but I haven't found anything that helps me out understanding how to prevent the user from skipping the video, how to "see" when the video runs to completion so the certificate can be printed. Basically I "know" how to play the video, but I don't know how to control it.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Luis Torres

treat your users like adults. if they say they've watched the video take their word for it.

alt-tab and mute ensures you won't be able to tell if they've watched the video over the web if you're not there at the time. full stop.

if you really want to make sure they've watched it test them on it, and, even then, if you test them via the web much cheating may occur.

mr s. <;)

silver light may provide you with options as it's suppose to allow compiled code on the client machine.
you could check that the browser is the active window, and that it is maximized. if it's not pause the video.

You would also need to disable controls to skip/scan chapters in the video so the user doesn't skip right to the end.

upon completion of the video display button to submit the video was completed which calls a webservice to update their records.

I would tend to agree with misterstick in requiring the users complete a test after the video. if they get X number of wrong answers they have to watch the video again.

As an added precaution. I would also add statistics as to when the video started and when the user began answering questions. and how many times they answered specific questions wrong.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back