Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to control audio volume when using 2 applications or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimhoong79

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
MY
I'm facing problems on controlling audio volume when I'm using 2 applications (eg Windows Media Player and Realplayer) or when I'm watching movie and chatting (in audio form) at the same time. When there are more than 1 application using the audio control, they will affect one another. When I adjust the volume control on Application A, Application B will be affected as well.

I'm using Win XP. I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks in advanced.

PS: If you face any problems understanding my problem, please tell me.

Are you saying that if you use the Volume Control inside WMP (or whatever other application) and not the Volume Control from the Notification Area, it effects the Volume of that second application? I would have thought that adjusting the Volume from within each application would only effect that particular application and therefor should work for you?

What I mean is using the Volume Control in the application, not the Main Volume Control in the system.

For an example, I want to listen to music using Winamp while watching live football through RealPlayer. So I would like to have the Winamp volume to its fullest while the RealPlayer volume lower than the Winamp. However, I found out that adjusting Winamp volume will NOT affect RealPlayer volume but IT WILL vice versa. This is just an example as in most of the other applications, it will be affecting each other.

Any attempts to help will be appreciated. Thank you

Indie Volume is definitely the solution but I think we should not need any third party software do something as simple as this.

I will try to use this software and see how... if anyone can show me the solution without third party software, you are welcomed to comment.

Thank you, linney for the effort on helping me out!

If you find a solution in the future, post back and let us all know the answer.

I would add this, the fact that a third party program even exists would tend to suggest that this may be a problem which could only be solved by third party intervention, else why would they have written the program and be selling it?

Can WMP do the job RealPlayer is doing for you?

OK, I will try to get the solution but I can't promise anything near future.

I agree with you about the reason of third party existence.

There is one funny thing happened. I find out that Media Player Classic from K-Lite Codec Pack has its own "volume control session" where it does not affect other audio applications. Have a try on it... but I still not satisfied as this does not happen to other applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back