Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to continue command on next line in program

Status
Not open for further replies.

zalewski66

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
Is there a continuation character in foxpro 2.6 that will allow you to continue the command on the next line so that you dont have a real long command going so far to the right.

Yes & No

Within the source code of your PRG, etc. files, Yes. You can use the semi-colon ( ; ) to continue the command onto the next line.

However, within the Command Window, No (sort-of).
If you are typing directly and interactively into your Command Window, you will need to type the command as a long, single line command. This is because the Command Window interprets presses of the Enter key as an EXECUTE command.

But if you have copied a multi-line into your PC's clipboard, then you can Paste it into your Command Window and the multi-line command will:
1. Appear as a multi-line command
2. Execute properly

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

I think ( at least in FP DOS) in the command window you can type some stuff, then a semi-colon, then ctrl+enter, then some more stuff. The control enter gives you a new line without executing the first line so you can have long multi line commands.

The ctrl+enter "trick" works in ALL FPs from FP 2.0, all the way up to VFP 7.0 SP1. (I don't have FP 1.x installed anymore, so I can't check it!)

Rick

If you use ";" as a continuation character in a .PRG to keep the line from getting too long, don't put any "&& comments" on the line after the ";"

Jerry,
Actually, you can - at least since VFP 5.0 - and maybe even before. (Just not in the older FP 2.x variants!)

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back