Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to connect win98 clients to internet through win2000 server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kontko

Programmer
Mar 23, 2001
US
I am trying to connect the clients on my small home network to the internet using a WIN2000 server that has a DSL connection.

I have the following environment:
Win2000 Server as the only server in the home network. It is a domain server with the Active Directory up on it. I have removed the DHCP and DNS servers from the system. The server has 2 NIC's, one for the home ethernet network and one for the DSL connection. The server also acts as a file and print server.

I have 5 WIN98 clients, all of whom want to access the internet through the servers ADSL connection.

I have tried to use the ICS that comes with WIN2000 server with no success. I have read alot about NAT and /or proxy servers, and at this point do not know which way to turn.

I have read articles and ideas until my head is mush. I know there is a way to do what I want to do, I just cannot find it. I am NOT a networking expert (which I guess is obvious). Any help someone can provide is much appreciated.

For such a small environment, you don't really need NAT. What I have done in the past is this:

Workstation with connection to Internet:
-Install Windows 2000 Professional (You can use server too.)
-Install a NIC. Use DHCP to obtain IP address (DHCP will fail and autoassign an IP address. All of your clients can do this...)
-Install ICS

All other Windows 98 or 2K workstations:
-Install a NIC and configure for DHCP
-Connect all computers to a central hub
-Configure internet explorer to autodetect connection

Let me know if you need more info...what problems have you run into?

It sounds like you have connectivity within you LAN. It also sound like you have a connection to the internet that is working on your server. What error do you get on the client machines?
Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Hi, According to all of the documentation I have seen and read, I cannot have DHCP running on the WIN2000 server and have ICS running at the same time. Microsoft also says that I cannot be running a DNS server on the WIN2000Server machine at the same time.

The problems I have had, are that I just cannot get the client to connect to the internet. I can get the file and print sharing to work fine, and the client can log into the server, but thats as far as I get. I have tried so many different things (assigning static IP addresses to the clients,....) that at this point I just need to step back and re think how to do this.

OK....

I have expierence using ICS on my home network. I setup my computers as I noted above. It literally took me about 20 minutes to get everything setup. (I couldn't believe how easy it was in my situation.

You seem to have Server installed. This may be where the difference is.

I found this on Technet:
Important!!

-You should not use this feature in a network with other Windows 2000 Server domain controllers, DNS servers, gateways, DHCP servers, or systems configured for static IP.

-When you enable Internet connection sharing, the adapter connected to the home or small office network is given a new static IP address configuration. Consequently, TCP/IP connections established between any small office or home office computer and the Internet connection sharing computer at the time of enabling Internet connection sharing are lost and need to be reestablished.

So I guess when you install ISC on your server, the LAN IP address gets changed. This may be a good starting point.

I think that is why I decided to use DHCP for all my client machines. It's because of this change. When you enable ICS, your server LAN card will get a APIPA address of 169.254.x.x. I don't think you can change this. If you change this back to the original IP address, you ISC won't work.

It looks like you should be using NAT.

Therefore, in your situation, I would either use NAT or install your connection to the internet on a Windows 2000 Professional computer. Follow the instructions above. (you will have to change the IP address of your Server to 169.254.x.x) Should be a piece of cake...

Hope this helps... Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

OK. I have to keep the Win2000 Server as the sharing machine so it looks like I need to use NAT right ? Can or should I also look into one of a number of freeware proxy servers that are available (such as Analogx ?)

You won't need to buy anything. NAT is included with Windows 2000 server. For the small environment that you've detailed, I think NAT will be your best option.

You need a basic understanding of TCP/IP to set it up. I think you should be able to figure it out...seeing how you have your whole network setup....

Here is some information to help you set this up:

The NAT concept:

How to install NAT:

I hope this helps...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Hi there,

I'm not exactly sure about my answer, but do the clients need a default gateway?

If they dont have one already setup, I would think that they need the IP of the server set as the client default gateway. Otherwise when the client makes a request, and the computer or IP address isnt on your internal network, the browser needs to know where to go to get to the resource. That would be where the default gateway comes in.

Dont know if this will help, but it might.

To Jpoandl, Just wanted to thank you for all your help. I finally got it working. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Through all this I got hit with the CODERED2 virus the other night (while trying to get the connection working), the DSL software I am using on a 30 day trial decided my trial was up after 3 days, and my son tripped over the lan cable and inadvertantly pulled it out of the test computer. I didn't notice that the light wasn't green on the hub. Well, at least I learned a lot more about DHCP and NAT through all this. Thanks again.

No, problem. Gee, it sounds like you have had SOME trouble recently...hopefully things will smooth out....

Later. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back