Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to connect VPN tunnel between SSH client and BEFVP41?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm trying to figure out a way to establish VPN tunnels between remote computers running SSH Sentinel 1.3 and BEFVP41 router... We have many Windows 98 laptops, and they don't have the built-in VPN software as Windows 2000 does. In addition, I want the remote client computers to obtain a "local IP" when they get connected with the VPN router. The "virtual IP" provided by SSH Sentinel seems to be something I'm looking for...

Has anyone here got some idea of having the above 2 pieces to work together?

I appreciate any help you can provide...

SSHFun

Thanks for your reply...

However, it doesn't work for me. The SSH log says that the IKE can't pass the first stage and suggests me to make sure the preshared key is the same at both sides. But this is not my case.

When I checked out the tunnel log at BEFVP41, I find the IKE negotiation stops before a proper tunnel is selected. I think the preshared key shouldn't be any problem, as I don't see any red characters in the tunnel log for unmatched keys. I also checked out the log for the BEFVP41 router. Something interesting is I can't see any "outgoing" traffic there.

I connect BEFVP41 with the ADSL modem at one end and our LAN (throug Port 4) at the other. Not all the computers are pointing to BEFVP41, as they have to use other routers. But this doesn't matter, as I don't expect to make all the computers available for the remote administration. I don't know if the above layout brings the problem I have now.

Thank you once again.

Mine also stopped in IKE until I checked the box for "Attach only the selected values to the proposal" This is in the SSH Sentinel policy editor inside the Settings button for the IPSec/IKE proposal.

You must either upgrade Linksys BEFVP41 firmware upto v1.40.3 or select that 'Attach only...' option in SSH Sentinel v1.3.1.

Using the latest Linksys firmware makes the box a lot more robust for IKE negotiations wit modern VPN clients like SSH Sentinel.

;-)

I did come across a white paper for connecting the 1.3.2 Build 1 SSH client to a BEFVP41 Linksys router with Firmware 1.40.3. If you need it I can email a copy to you. Email me @ leonardl@computertaskforce.com. I am however trying to use the SSH 3.2 version, And I can not seem to get this to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back