Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Connect to WAN Before Logging into Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Technical User
Jul 12, 2002
GB
Hi All,

Hopefully I am missing something simple.

I'd like to know how to connect to my WAN before logging into windows so I can get password change reminders, user Group Policies applied.

Is it a tick box somewhere or is it specific hardware that I require?

At the moment I am evaluating Wireless using a Cheap 3com Officeconnect unit and build in Intel Wireless adapters. If I need whole new hardware thats no problem.

Thanks for any help,

Iain

Just need to check. Is this a WAN our WLAN?

Only ask as the second setup sounds like a wireless LAN your trying to set up....

If it's a WAN, are you using DHCP? Is the DHCP server on the same subnet as the wireless? If not you may need to set up DHCP fowarding on your routers.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Sorry about that.

I am trying to get this working on my wireless lan.

At the moment the Wireless Access point isn't braodcasting its SID and is using WPA2-PSK / TKIP encryption and only accepts certain MAC addresses.

So presently I switch on the computer (WindowsXP SP2, hit alt - ctrl - del, it logs in using Cached credentials and then it starts connecting to the Access point.

I've tried this with both static IP's & DHCP but the problem I have is the computers only connect to the access point after login. Because you can see the Wireless icon in the bottom aquiring an address.

Which causes issues with password change expiration notification and the like.

Thanks for any pointers,

Iain

I believe your wlan needs to have a more sophisticated setup. like a certificate...that will authenticate the computer before the windows login. Does your computer have a radius or IAS server? BTW, remove the mac address requirement that does not give you any benefit...especially when you have wpa.

I know mac addressing is sooooo easy to cheat but its just an evaluation at the mo' and its fun trying to capture MAC addresses.

Nothing fancy yet just a access point that gives you access to the network, basically like plugging a cat6 cable in after you've logged your computer in. So there's no IAS nor Radius running.

Any pointers on an idiots guide?

My problem is that the computer won't authenticate / connect to the Access point until after I log in so even if I had cert's / IAS I wouldn't be able to communicate with these until after log in.

I think its back to the knowledge bases. Does anyone have this set up at the moment?

Confusedly yours,

Iain

OK, I've finally gone with it.

I am using Dell laptops and have downloaded the latest drivers for the internal wireless cards and during the installation there is an option

"Pre-Logon Connect"

Which is NOT installed by default, I installed this component and BANG sorted.

Yeah, Group Poli-tastic!

Iain

We're using same dell client with pre-logon. When user fat fingers password, it causes the account to lock in AD. Seems as if the authentication is passed through multiple APs and this exceeds the attempt limit when it hits radius server.
Changed congfig and didn't happen with LEAP, only WPA. Network guys says it's issue with client.
So Desktop support is having to trouble shoot this issue. Have you seen this occur in your environment? Or have suggestions on troubleshooting.

Thanks!

I just upgraded the drivers on my D820, and I didn't see that option. I'm using the Intel Pro Set drivers, though.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

If you have windows manage your wireless connection it also takes care of the issue. I have ran into quite a few cards that do not have the option like "Pre-Logon Connect". Also you can then setup your wireless networks in group policy.

We had/have the same problem... another symptom is if you cable the machine, log on, log off, disconnect cable, activate wireless nic, then it will logon fine..... otherwise it can't find the domain.

We thought we had it figured out with a Policy edit but now it is a problem at another site....

Mainly what we are trying to do is have the wireless NIC associate, get a DHCP address ALL before anyone logs into the machine.

Any more tips out there?

What wireless supplicant are you using?
What authentication method are you using for wireless?

Supplicant = wzc or the "manufacturers software" depending on the nic, mostly Truemobile or Intel ProSet.

Security = WEP

I had similar issues using the intel proset software and other vendor specific clients, when I switched to using MS Wirelss Zero Config the mobile units connect before the user logs in.

-Dave

we are using the WZC with intel cards. Once the systems startup machine authentication is done and users can login without any problems. However once wireless is disconnected/turned off and after it reconnects/is turned on there is no machine authentication. in addition, users are not able to logon because machine authentication is mandatory.
Anyone any ideas why the machine only do machine authentication when booting and not whenever there is a disconnect or reconnect of the wireless connection? Is there a (registry)setting in the xp client which cannot be set within the windows wlan setup...

just a quick question along the same lines.

How do i set the WEP key in group policy wireless settings. I have setup everything in the group policy but i cannot see anywhere where i can put the wep code in.

Thanks

Why are you wanting to use WEP? You need at least WPA for security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back