Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Connect to MS Access Database in ASP.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavalon

Programmer
Apr 18, 2003
US
MY Code is not working. I'm getting an "Unspecified Error" when trying to connect to an MS Access database:
Code:
                Dim connectionString As String = "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Inetpub\[URL unfurl="true"]wwwroot\myapp\db2.mdb"[/URL]
                Dim con As OleDbConnection
                Dim cmd As OleDbCommand = New OleDbCommand
                Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter

Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet
                Dim sSQL As String = "SELECT * FROM Employees" 'EXECUTE Instance_Records"
                cmd.CommandText = sSQL
                con = New OleDbConnection(connectionString)
                con.Open() [COLOR=green]' <<<< THIS IS WHERE IT BOMBS[/color]
                da = New OleDbDataAdapter(cmd)

da.Fill(ds)
                con.Close()

dgResults.DataSource = ds
                dgResults.DataBind()
When I run in debug mode and break on con.Open() I see that the ServerVersion value is: <error: an exception of type: {System.InvalidOperationException} occurred>

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think it is an order of your operations...the below works for me...

Dim cn As OleDb.OleDbConnection
Dim cmd As OleDb.OleDbCommand
Dim dr As OleDb.OleDbDataReader

Try
cn = New OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\temp\db2.mdb;")
cn.Open()
cmd = New OleDb.OleDbCommand("select * from employee", cn)
dr = cmd.ExecuteReader
While dr.Read
TextBox1.Text = dr(1)
End While

dr.Close()
cn.Close()
Catch ex As Exception
End Try

Actually, I figured out that I needed to give write permission to the internet user account for the "\Documents and Settings\Machine_Name\ASPNET\Local Settings\Temp" directory.

NOW I'VE GOT A NEW ERROR:

Could not use ''; file already in use

Bombs in the same place as before, and when i break there, i see that the connection's database is blank (i.e., ''). The Provider is correct, and the data source is correct, but the database has no value. I can only guess that this is what the above error message is refering to.

Any ideas?

Is a permission issue. Allow the network service permission to the database. I found this a ways back doing some online research.

I gave Full Control to Everyone. I still get the same error.

OK, apparently, there must have been some process that kept the connection open. I tried to connect to another database and it worked. After I restarted the computer, I was able to connect to the original database. However, I have one more major issue:

I'm able to connect to and query MS Access tables and execute queries based on normal tables. However, I cannot execute queries that query LINKED tables (linked to SQL Tables). Such queries produce the following error:

ODBC--connection to 'SQL ServerMACHINENAME' failed

The whole reason I am using Access in the first place is to generate Crosstab queries (which cannot be done in SQL) based on the tables in an SQL Database.

Please tell me how I can accomplish this...Pleeeeaase.

Thanks, but that article seems to be a discussion on Crosstab queries; when in fact my issue is still a connection issue.

Basically, my ASP.NET application connects to MS Access database. That database needs to connect to SQL Server (to get the linked tables). Now, I am able to connect to MS Access db (i.e., my original problem has been resolved...partially), but the queries that need to access Linked tables (from a SQL DB) are failing; hence the error:

ODBC--connection to 'SQL ServerMACHINENAME' failed.

Note, that opening up the Access DB from MS Access itself works when I try to open Linked tables.

OK, The solution for anyone who might have the same problem was the following:

Even though I am linking tables using a User DSN that specifies the SQL user logon, when my ASP.NET page runs an MS Access Query that links to the SQL Database Tables, it runs as ASPNET user.

Therefore, I added that user to the SQL database and gave it the "DataReader" permission.

Now, it works. So, I wasted an entire day of work just to learn that I needed to do two simple things:

1. Give write permission to the internet user account for the "\Documents and Settings\Machine_Name\ASPNET\Local Settings\Temp" directory, and

2. Add the ASPNET user to the SQL database and give it the "DataReader" permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back