Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to connect IoT device through LTE if no ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom L

Vendor
Feb 12, 2019
CA
My question relates to monitoring an IoT device in a remote location where there is no local ISP. The specific need right now is monitoring our smart thermostat in a remote cabin location so that it can advise our user of a power failure or a temperature drop. The area does have good LTE coverage from a local cell phone tower. We believe that the solution would involve a wireless router which supports LTE through a SIM card to maintain a persistent connection which our customer could then monitor as they now monitor our devices on their home network. This is getting into an area outside our experience though. Are there factors or limitations which would affect what router/SIM card would be needed? Obviously we just need data not minutes and very little data at that for our one device. I suppose the SIM card would have to be activated by the company with the local cell phone tower? Would that activation require a cell phone number? Hopefully not as we don't want a call-up connection, we want a persistent connection so our device can send out an alert on set triggers.

Is this as simple as we hope: the user gets just any wireless router with a SIM slot, inserts a pay-as-you-go SIM card from some local provider (Fido, Virgin etc.) with a couple GB of data added to it, the router connects to the tower and establishes the local wireless network, the user connects our device and his cell phone to the network, our client software on the cell phone connects to our device through the network and then once our monitoring software knows the device's IP address it's done and our client drives back to the city? Maybe the data has to be topped up from time to time. Generally does data expire?

Some advice would be appreciated. We have a question to answer and not a lot of time to research it in-house.

We use AT&T and Cradlepoint routers for some remote sites. Link You should be able to use about any carrier. They make some routers that are dedicated to IoT. Link

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

Any hotspot you set up yourself will need a UPS, especially if you're expecting to monitor power outages.

Mobile phones and mobile 'hot spots' already have their UPS built in :)

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Thanks for the suggestions. Have been checking the ideas out. The AT&T and Cradlepoint routers ended up being a too expensive solution for just one smart thermostat. The cheap mobile phone idea has been a bit of a struggle as we need to set up a standard procedure that a customer can follow on future installs. That got us into procedures to unlock your old cell phone or how to buy an unlocked cell phone and then the SIM selection criteria has been the most confusing. There are so many pay-as-you-go SIM cards out there but they are oriented around talk minutes and messaging whereas we just need a small amount of data. We have settled on one solution now which works in the office but have to get out to the remote site to do the actual install.

Yes, the UPS is the cell phone's battery. We just need to leave the cell phone plugged into a charger full time.

It's a neat solution actually.

Verizon has built an infrastructure for IoT and "makers" called ThingSpace. It's aimed at things that would be using a cellular connection to get wherever they need to get. I don't have any direct experience with it, but I am aware of serveral companies that have built some pretty amazing IoT products using it. Yes, this is more industrial strength, and more expensive than just a cell phone, but it might bear looking into just so you're aware of what they offer.

[link ][/url]
[link ][/url]
[link ][/url]

Full disclosure, I work for Verizon. I don't work with ThingSpace, but have heard the internal cheer leading about it.

That sounds very interesting and we will have more extensive 'thing' remote connection requirements in the future. Will definitely check this out.
Thanks.

Hello guys. Can you recommend some good media/blog sources with news regarding internet of things solutions? We recently bought some solutions based on iot and its important for us to be up to date with new possibilities. We are searching for feed like this blog - pro4people.com . Any tips would be much appreciated. Regards!

I had similar situation where a client wanted to monitor his vacation home.
I went with 2GIG alarm panel with cdma module. $19/month for self-monitoring subscription including data plan, so no ISP needed.
You can monitor and control you thermostat, add whole range of RF security sensors (doors, windows, motion, glass brake, flood sensor,). Also wide range of Z-Wave devices are compatible with their panel, such as smoke detectors, locks, relays (to shut off well pump if leak is detected)
In addition to built-in battery we installed a UPS, as power outages are common during storms.
For additional cost you can add police monitoring.
I’m not affiliated with 2gig in anyway and there are probably other similar products on the market.
Altogether it’s more cost efficient and more reliable vs ISP with WiFi.

I got one of these, it is a 4G router, and a PAYG sim from a local supermarket that works in France

TP-LINK Archer MR600 AC1200 4G Cat6 SIM Slot Unlocked Wi-Fi Dual Band Router

I can top it up from the UK, and the 4G performance is good.

Add a UPS and you are away.

Remember if a phone goes out after a long power outage, it won't restart when the power comes back on.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

I think it would be about 160 quid

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

We access this device only on the home / business network. The device only connects to a local / remote server and then We access this device from the Internet using a Static Public IP Address and in the last we access this device from the Internet using a Dynamic Public IP Address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back