Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to configure TCP/IP for WIN98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecktel

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2003
US
I think I have a problem with the configuration with TCP/IP configuration on one of my network computers that runs Win 98. I always receive a message about no dial tone from the modem. I tried to use an external modem (no luck). I not 100% sure about the internal modem it works, but I am not sure how to check or switch it over to test. Also, I not sure which protocols to set in TCP/IP?

Detailed help required.

Thanks,

Tecktel2000@yahoo.com

Go to Control Panel. Select Modems. The select the modem you have and go to More Info. See if it responds when you test it. If not then the modem is either not functioning or not configured correctly. Do you have a phone you can plug into the phone outlet to test to seee if you do have a dial tone.

Mark
Email: markanas333@hotmail.com

I can almost guarantee trhe reason why no dial tone is drivers.. Not TCP/IP configuation... I had nothing but problems with my Lucent modem and windows 98 ..

other option is to check the phone jack and make sure the injack from the wall is in correct RJ11 injack.

Todd, if my problem is the driver what do I need to do to correct this problem?

thanks,

Tecktel

If you know the name of your modem you can upload the drivers from the net.,, If you are runnning 98 2nd edition the drivers may be on your disc allready.
go into device manager and remove modem then refresh the device manager so it finds the modem and installs with the drivers being asked for. Of which you would have on hand ready to go in a special folder you uploaded from the new , or on your windows disk.

No dial tone can also be caused by a faulty cable between the modem and the phone socket.

Do you have bt call minder on the phone line you are using? Ie a broken dial-tone, if so in the modem properties uncheck the (wait for dial tone) check box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back