Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Configure SCSI array for HP ML350 G4p 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbkelly

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2007
US
I need help setting up a new HP ML350 G4p server SCSI array. I succeeded in installing the second processor and 6 hard drives but don't know how to set up the hardware RAID. They are 36.4 gig SCSI hard drives. I wanted to have 2 drives mirrored (I want to install the windows SBS software on these. Second, I want to have the next 3 drives set up in RAID 5, and lastly have the final 6th drive be a hot swap spare. I'm not familiar with setting up server RAID and probably need step by step walk through instructions.

Have you run the SmartStart installation on the server? The RAID configuration can be done as part of this. I believe the ML350 G4p uses SmartStart v7.70 which can be downloaded from here if you don't have it:

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

You should have gotten a SmartStart CD in the box with the server. Boot off of it

1. Choose language
2. Agree to license (reading the entire license agreement first, of course. ;)
3. Select Maintain Server
4. Select Configure Array
5. Select Array controller (top left)
6. Select Array controller (middle)
7. Select Create Array
8. Choose the drives you want for the array. (When you select a drive the light on the front of the drive should turn on.)
9. Select Create Logical drive - choose RAID level and drive size
10. Select Spare Management - Select spare (If the physical drive sizes are all the same, you can use the same spare for both arrays; the RAID1 and the RAID5.)
11. Repeat steps 7-10 for all the arrays you want to create
12. Exit ACU
13. Exit & Reboot (pull the smartstart CD and boot off of the Windows CD)

Good Luck

I have the bootable HP SmartStart CD version 7.60. I followed the steps outlined but when I got to the Select Array Controller it said that none were found. So, I used the f8 key when I rebooted and it says it found two HPSCSI cards. 1. HP Ultra4 Dual Channel at slot 0 port 0
and 2. HP Ultra4 Dual Channel at slot 0 port 1

It says that the current configuration is:
SCSI Card ID: 7
Reset SCSI Bus at IC Initialization: Enabled
Current Domain Validation Scheme: Full

I didn't change anything here. When I exit the post continues and recognizes all 6 drives. I understood that this server came with an integrated Ultra320 SCSI
but the HP SmartStart doesn't find it? I've also purchased the SMART ARRAY 6402 128MB for an internal hard drive. However, I haven't installed the 6402 controller or tape drive yet. I wanted to keep it simple and get this basic system working first. What am I doing wrong? Or, what do I need to do to set up the integrated controller? Thanks for all your help.

Do you have an option to configure the SCSI controller? Usually there is a keyboard sequence you can perform as the controller is being recognized at POST. Like a CTRL-A or something.

We only use RAID controllers for disk access. The 6402 is a dual channel controller, yes? If so, you should be able to connect on channel to the array and the other to the internal drive for which you purchased it. Then use the steps in the post above to configure the arrays.

Yes.I think so. I can't work on it tonight, but will tomorrow and use the control-s key to see what options I have available. I'll let you know. Thanks

I found out that the integrated SCSI controller isn't the one I should use for RAID. When I installed the extra SCSI card it immediately showed up in post and I was able to configure it as per your instructions. It works beautifully. I used the integrated controller for the HP Internal Tape Drive. The RAID is setup and I have the os installed with virus protection. I'm going to be installing this server today.

Thanks for all your great advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back