Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to configure ports 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amateur

Technical User
Jan 5, 2000
US
Visit site
Would someone show me how to configure the ports as follows:<br>
com 1 = irq 4 i/o 3f8<br>
com 2 = irq 3 i/o 2f8<br>
com 3 = irq 4 i/o 3e8<br>
com 4 = irq 3 i/o 2e8.<br>
<br>
Thank you.<br>
<br>

You need to refer to the documentation that<br>
accompanies the board.

What do you mean by configuring the ports? Change setting in the BIOS or on the IO-card? Change settings from within a program or operating system?<br>
<br>
-Ian

Hi Ian,<br>
It would be in the BIOS and within the OS. Thanks for your interest. Amateur

I am assuming that if you have four COM ports that there are two on-board the motherboard and two on an add-on card. I'm also assuming that you are running Win9x.<br>
<br>
For the on-board port, go into the CMOS setup when booting (on most machines hold down the &lt;Del&gt; key while booting) and look for a menu option along the lines of &quot;On-board setup/settings&quot; etc. Hit &lt;Enter&gt; on that then look for the two ports on the new menu. Change those options as required.<br>
<br>
For the other two ports you will need to find the add-on card inside the PC. On well designed cards the jumper settings for the ports are usually etched on the card (in case you didn't get the size-A27 piece of paper that passes itself off as a &quot;manual&quot;). <br>
<br>
To set the ports in the OS got to the control panel and double click the &quot;System&quot; icon.<br>
Click the Device Manager tab. Click on the little plus next to &quot;Ports&quot;. Your ports should be listed there. If it shows only two ports it could mean that the port card is not Plug-and-Play (the seldom are) so you have to resort to the default stanard, i.e. Plug-and-Pray. The is a long process so I'll do it it shorthand.<br>
<br>
Go back to the Control Panel. <br>
Double click &quot;Add New Hardware&quot;. [Panel appears.]<br>
Click Next. [Panel appears]<br>
Click &quot;No&quot;<br>
Click Next. [Panel with list appears]<br>
Scroll to &quot;Ports&quot;<br>
Click Ports<br>
Click Next. [Panel with two lists appears]<br>
Click &quot;(Standard Ports)&quot;<br>
Click &quot;Communications Port&quot;<br>
Click Next. [Panel appears with some settings in it]<br>
<br>
(Note the settings should be wrong - more about that later)<br>
<br>
Click Next. [Panel appears]<br>
Click Finish. {Message box appears]<br>
Click &quot;No&quot; (i.e. don't shutdown)<br>
<br>
Go back to Control Panel.<br>
Go back to &quot;System&quot;<br>
Go back to &quot;Device Manager&quot;<br>
Click &quot;Ports&quot; [Comm3 should now be there]<br>
Click Comm3<br>
Click &quot;Properties&quot; button<br>
Click &quot;Resources&quot; tab<br>
<br>
You can now choose the IRQ and port addresses from either the drop down list or by double clicking the label in the &quot;Resource Type&quot; column. It will warn you of conflicts.<br>
<br>
Repeat for fourth port and then reboot.<br>
Check &quot;Device Manager&quot; that there are no yellow splats.<br>
<br>
(I assume that the incorrect values are because Windows finds the new port when it is checking to see which IRQs and addresses are available and assumes that you are going to add another port - hence the &quot;Would you like to shutdown&quot; message as opposed to a reboot message.)<br>
<br>
Hope this helps<br>
-Ian<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back