Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Configure Internet on Solaris 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kishu76

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2010
IN
Hi Guys,

I recently installed Solaris 10 on Vmware Workstation 7.0.1. I'm trying to get Internet to work in the solaris virtual machine by sharing it from the host machine but have not been successful.The Solaris Virtual Machine NIC is using NAT. Please help.

Thanks
kisad

I am not an expert in VMware, so I am hoping that someone with that proficiency will jump in here. I have used VMware server (to test) and I didn't have any trouble, so I am thinking that it is just a configuration issue in Solaris.

However, re-configuring the all of the files necessary to change the networking on Solaris is a PITA. Easiest thing to do is use the sys-unconfig command and configure everything from scratch. Don't worry - if you have installed any applications or packages, it won't get affected.

Run the following command:

# sys-unconfig

The system will then un-configure everything then reboot. Just answer the questions as it goes through the setup. On the DNS portion, manually put in your servers IP addresses. On the search domains, put in your domain(s) as applicable. If it tells you that it can't find your host (unknown), just proceed...don't re-enter the DNS server.

Since you are operating behind NAT, DHCP, won't be able to give you a hostname. Therefore, make sure you add your hostaname to the file /etc/hostname.<adapter> For example, if your adapter is hme0, the add your hostname to the file /etc/hostname.hme0

You can also do it temporarily from the command line:

# hostname <name of your host here>

Hope that helps.

Hi artfulbodger,

Many Thanks for your help. I'm now able to ping the ip address's of thw website and also browse websites using the ip address.however it doesnt seem to work with FQDN.I have added the below line in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file and rebooted the sytem.Please help.

hosts: files dns
ipnodes: files dns

bash-3.00# ping 209.85.231.104
209.85.231.104 is alive
bash-3.00# ping ping: unknown host bash-3.00#

/etc/resolv.con

populate the dns name and address

solaris10 [687576]-> cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 66.109.223.4
nameserver 66.109.223.44
search dns.wispertel.net

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

36 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 26 years and counting

The reply by Avaya is correct. The /etc/resolv.conf file will tell your system where the name servers are. However, that should have been automatically created when you did the sys-unconfig and re-config'd the system.

You can also try a public DNS server like 4.2.2.2.

Also, you don't need to reboot....just type the following command:

# svcadm restart network

That will restart the network without a reboot.

HI AvayaTier3 & artfulbodger,

I had made the DNS entry of my ISP in the resolve.conf file but still not able to ping FQDN.

bash-3.00# more /etc/resolve.conf
nameserver 125.22.47.125
nameserver 202.56.250.5
search dnsblr.mantraonline.com
search AES-Static-125.47.22.125.airtel.in

/etc/resolv.conf does not have an "e" after the "v"

/etc/resolve.conf is not the correct filename

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

36 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 26 years and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back