Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to configure 9608 Soft Buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvayaCiscoAdmin

Technical User
Dec 6, 2012
CA
Hi,
We are running Avaya Aura 6.3. I would like to add an Emergency Soft Button to our 9608IP phones.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here, how to configure the soft buttons?

In the 46xxsettings.txt file, look for
Code:
## Idle Feature Settings
##   A list of feature identifiers for softkey features  
##   available in the Idle call state
##   0 to 255 ASCII characters: zero to six whole numbers
##   separated by commas without any intervening spaces
##
SET IDLEFEATURES "26,13,16,1000"

For the list of codes, check out Administering Avaya 9608/9608G/9611G/9621G/9641G/9641GS IP Deskphones H.323

Thank-you ZeroZeroOne for your assistance with this.

I looked up those codes:
26 = Directory
13 = Next
16 = Make call

What is 1000 ? Is that the station number?
How does that sequence dial a station, for example, station 55555 which is the Emergency Department's station number?

No, 1000 was, I think, a special character for the backlight button but I don't recall exactly.

Sorry, those were just example buttons and not directly involved with your question.

You will need either an auto-dial where the number is programmed directly on the phone or an abbreviated dial button that references your emergency number. Program one and make sure the phone dials correctly.

Then update the IDLEFEATURES setting with the code for the auto-dial or abrv-dial code.

That's the general idea, anyway. I hope that helps.

Code:
################  EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER  ################
##
## PHNEMERGNUM specifies an emergency telephone number to be dialed if the associated button is selected.
##  Valid values may contain up to 30 dialable characters (0-9, *, #); the default value is null ("").
##  This parameter is supported by:
##       Avaya Vantage Connect Application SIP R2.0.1.0 and later for OpenSIP environment only.
##       J169/J179 H.323 R6.7 and later
##       J129  SIP  R1.0.0.0 (or R1.1.0.0), J169/J179 SIP R1.5.0, J100 SIP R2.0.0.0 and later, J139 SIP R3.0.0.0 and later
## 	 Avaya Vantage Devices SIP R1.1.0.1 and later for IP Office (R1.1.0.1+) and OpenSIP (R2.0.1.0+) environments only (The emergency information is retrieved in Aura environment from PPM).
##       96x1 H.323 R6.0 and later; the parameter is supported when the phone is registered to Avaya Communication Manager only.
##       96x1  SIP  R6.0 and later
##       H1xx  SIP  R1.0 and later
##       B189 H.323 R1.0 and later
##       96x0 H.323 R1.5 and later; the parameter is supported when the phone is registered to Avaya Communication Manager only.
##       96x0  SIP  R2.0 and later
##       4630 H.323 R1.0 and later
## SET PHNEMERGNUM 9911
##
## PHNMOREEMERGNUMS specifies list of comma separated emergency numbers 
##  Valid values may contain up to 30 dialable characters (0-9, *, #); the default value is null ("").
##       Avaya Vantage Connect Application SIP R2.0.1.0 and later for OpenSIP environment only.
##       J129  SIP  R1.0.0.0 (or R1.1.0.0), J100 SIP R2.0.0.0 and later, J139 SIP R3.0.0.0 and later
##       Avaya Vantage Devices SIP R1.1.0.1 and later for IP Office (R1.1.0.1+) and OpenSIP (R2.0.1.0+) environments.
##       H1xx  SIP  R1.0.2 and later
## SET PHNMOREEMERGNUMS "911,109,115"       
## 
############  EMERGENCY NUMBER SOFTKEY (SIP ONLY)  ###########
##
## ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK specifies whether an emergency softkey,
##  with or without a confirmation screen, will be displayed when the phone is registered.
##  All emergency numbers will always be supported.
##  Value  Operation
##    0    An emergency softkey will not be displayed.
##    1    An emergency softkey will be displayed, without a confirmation screen.
##    2    An emergency softkey will be displayed, with a confirmation screen (default).
##       J129  SIP  R1.0.0.0 (or R1.1.0.0), J169/J179 SIP R1.5.0, J100 SIP R2.0.0.0 and later; J139 SIP R3.0.0.0 and later
##       96x1  SIP  R6.2 and later
## SET ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK 1
##
## ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK_UNREG specifies whether an emergency softkey,
##  with or without a confirmation screen, will be displayed when the phone is not registered.
##  All emergency numbers will always be supported.
##  Value  Operation
##    0    An emergency softkey will not be displayed.
##    1    An emergency softkey will be displayed, without a confirmation screen.
##    2    An emergency softkey will be displayed, with a confirmation screen (default).
##       J129  SIP  R1.0.0.0 (or R1.1.0.0), J169/J179 SIP R1.5.0, J100 SIP R2.0.0.0 and later; J139 SIP R3.0.0.0 and later
##       96x1  SIP  R6.2 and later
## SET ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK_UNREG 1

When you have PHNEMERGNUM programmed, you will see “Emerg.” on the 3rd softkey when the phone is idle.

Thanks all for your good tips....

We considered Crisis-alert but that doesn't actually do what we need. Crisis-alert sounds an alarm when someone dials one of the defined emergency numbers and it identifies the station that dialled the emergency number.

What we need is a preprogrammed soft-button that when pressed it automatically dials the configured number, such as 55555.

With a pre-configured number on a soft key, during an emergency, a user doesn't have to think about what code to dial. They just need to press the soft-button.

Abbreviated dial doesn't do what we need as a dial-code needs to be entered.

Can anybody think of some other feature that would work for this desired application?

Doesn't PHNEMERGENUM define the EMERGENCY number or numbers that trigger an alarm when someone calls one of the numbers?

I've read the 9600 Admin/Install docs and maybe I'm just misunderstanding PHNEMERGENUM ??? Is that not associated with crisis-alert?

PHNEMERGNUM - Defines the emergency number the phone dials
SET ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK 1 - defines whether a registered SIP phone has the softkey to dial PHNEMERGNUM
SET ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK_UNREG 1 - defines whether an unregistered SIP phone has the softkey to dial PHNEMERGNUM

For SM to do ELIN/E911, then PHNEMERGNUM's dial pattern in SM must have the "emergency" box ticked. That can let SM append ELIN data. In R8, SM can use a different application sequence that normal calls use. <R8, SM will not use the normal application sequence for the SIP endpoint and do whatever the dial patterns says to do. This has nothing to do with crisis alert.

In CM, when a call in the ARS/AAR table of type 'alrt' is dialed, the crisis alert feature is triggered.

So, so the emergency stuff in the settings file all you like, if you're not defining alrt call types, you'll never get crisis alert and if you're not defining emergency dial patterns in SM (and you don't necessarily need to for certain designs) then you'll never have SM's emergency stuff kick in.

*edit - you can still use SM or CMs emergency call handling without any special 46xxsettings, you just have to dial 911 or the emergency number on your own. All 46xx does is control the softkeys

Thanks Kyle555

So if we define the PHNEMERGNUM as station 55555 and assign PHNEMERGNUM to a soft key, all the telephones here on site will display EMERGENCY on one of their soft-buttons...... and when the button is depressed it will automatically call staion 55555 ?

In this application, pressing a soft-button, we do not want to call off site to 911. We want to call an internal Security number, neither are we using ELINS here.

Presuming you're really using 9608 SIP deskphones and not one-x communicator or equinox or other SIP phones, yes.

All 3 of these in the settings file will define the emergency number and make a softkey available when the phone is and is not registered. Reboot the phone for it to take effect
PHNEMERGNUM - Defines the emergency number the phone dials
SET ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK 1 - defines whether a registered SIP phone has the softkey to dial PHNEMERGNUM
SET ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK_UNREG 1 - defines whether an unregistered SIP phone has the softkey to dial PHNEMERGNUM

Now here's the fun caveat :)

Notice above in the Vantage parts where it says "it gets it from PPM"? Yeah, it's the same for 9600s.

That's to say a hardphone gets PPM when it registers. It is then retained after reboot or if the phone is logged out.

You might notice that a new phone out of the box that's unregistered won't have the softkey but a phone that logs in, logs out and then reboots does have the softkey when unregistered.

Our Avaya Aura is 6.3 and the majority of our phones are 9608D01A using H.323 signalling... Will PHNEMERGNUM work with H.323 ?

Whoops.

You mentioned in your first post that you had 9608IP and I read 9608SIP.

Sorry :)
p123:
For IDLEFEATURES or DIALFEATURES, if the system parameter PHNEMERGNUM is
administered, the third softkey in the Idle or Dialing call state will always be labeled Emerg
regardless of the contents of those system parameters.

So in the case of H.323 will this work ? .... since they're not 9608SIP ?

"For IDLEFEATURES or DIALFEATURES, if the system parameter PHNEMERGNUM is
administered "..... administered in 46xxsettings.txt ?

I have never before ad to edit the 46xxsettings.txt file. Are these the right steps?

Presently, our 46xxsettings.txt file shows:

PHNEMERGNUM as not activated and the number to be dialed is 9911.
ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK shows '1'
ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK_UNREG shows '1'

I want to edit PHNEMERGNUM to dial 55555.
To edit this, should I first select < to edit, and then type in 55555, or do I need to activate the Parameter first in order to do that ?

The other Parameters (ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK and ENABLE_SHOW_EMERG_SK_UNREG) since they are both set to 1, look OK.

Once all three Parameters are 'Activated', do I need to select 'R' to Reload?

Once the file has been committed do all the IP phones reboot ? If Not, how can I schedule that to happen?

look at the settings I posted above. Most of the ones you're using only apply to SIP. You probably can't do that with h323 phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back