Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to configure 50 Laptops with the same wireless settings ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpau80

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2005
US

- We have a Wireless switch with 4 Access ports setup in a big conference room.

--There is no SSID ( OPEN system ).

--We have 50 laptops which needs to be configured through this wireless network.

1) Do I need to login into each and every laptop and then
configure it manually ?

2) Is there a tool which I can use to replicate the same setup in all the laptops ?

3) Lets say if there are 3-4 wireless network available, how can I make sure that all these laptops are connected to my wireless network only (ABC) --preferred connection ?

--Thanks
SAM

I don't know of any tool that will automatically start and log into each individual Laptop and then encrypt them to match a particular wireless network.

It looks like you're going to need to access each one manually.

Is there some kind of config file I can use or save it.
So users dont have to come to me and I need to manually setup the wireless for them.

I can ask them to run some script to configure some wireless setup.

Via Batch File Not sure if supports wep.

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

I'm making an assumption that all the laptops are running XPsp2 (netsh command) and all have the same wireless cards.
1. Set up the wireless configuration on one computer. At the command prompt, type:
netsh interface ip dump> c:\boardrmw.txt
2. This puts a text script file of the wired and wireless configuration at the root directory (C:) called boardrmw.txt
3. Open the file with notepad, remove the wired scripting and edit the wireless to remove "register=PRIMARY", making sure there is no space at the end of the line.
4. Save the file then make a shortcut to run the script by right-clicking on the desktop, New/Shortcut, type in
c:\windows\system32\netsh -f C:\boardrmw.txt
Give it a name, then Finish.

To get fancy you can change the icon to something more fitting. Then copy the file and shortcut to a usb drive or a CD and put them on all the computers. Then click on the icon to change to its configuration settings.
Make a second one for DHCP and you are set to go back and forth without being a configuring fool.
We do this quite often where I work, setting different script files for different wired and wireless configurations at different sites.
Hope this helps.

The test continues...

Good information

A star

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

Pudda,

Thanks for the info, but I am trying to getting as how exactly this works(sorry your are talking to a IT beginner).

This is what I did , connected my laptop to a wireless configuration and then ran the command what you had asked:

netsh interface ip dump> c:\boardrmw.txt

My text file looks like this:
====================================

# ----------------------------------
# Interface IP Configuration
# ----------------------------------
pushd interface ip

# Interface IP Configuration for "Wireless Network Connection"

set address name="Wireless Network Connection" source=dhcp
set dns name="Wireless Network Connection" source=dhcp
set wins name="Wireless Network Connection" source=dhcp

popd
# End of interface IP configuration
================================================

1)What all changes do i need to make to the above file,my wireless connection name is "ABC" and it gives dhcp to the wireless devices.

2) When you say i have to run it as a script ? what exactly do I need to do

Sorry for asking you the basic questions.

--Thanks
SAm

pudda, good information, but what about the wifi specific settings? ssid, wep key, etc

Johnpau80-
If all you are using is DHCP (letting your router hand you an IP address) then you do not need to make this script. This is for switching back and forth from a static IP such as:
IP Address: 30.30.6.XXX
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 212.210.15.XXX
to a DHCP address which you already have.

jdeisenm-
Those settings will be in the network configuration once you log on the first time- it will be in the wireless network list of auto-connects with your other wireless connections, if any.
If you are using MAC (physical) addressing for security those will need to be added in your routers settings.

The test continues...

I have the exact same problem. Having 7 different WLAN with WPA-PSK and different SSID and and about 50 laptops with Win XP SP2.

Is it possible to manage WPA settings with netsh command?

It looks like Vista is capable of doing this.. Anyone that knows better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back