Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Concatenate notes into a note field

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshismokey

Programmer
Sep 17, 2005
US
I have a field "notes" that I would like to allow the users to add to without overwriting the last note added. Is there an easy way to do this in SQL?
Here is the code I have so far:

<cfquery name="UpdateApproval" datasource=#MM_connproducts_DSN# username=#MM_connproducts_USERNAME# password=#MM_connproducts_PASSWORD# debug="yes">
UPDATE APPROVALS Set OTI_VP_Name = '#form.OTI_VP_Name#', OTI_VP_Email='#form.OTI_VP_Email#' ,CS_Name='#form.CS_Name#', CS_Email='#form.CS_Email#', Updated_Date='#today#', AddedNotes= '#form.Notes#'
Where Transaction_Number = '#form.Transaction_Number#'
</cfquery>

Thanks in advance.

By that, do you mean every time they go in and add a note, a new record will be added to the new "Notes" table with the transaction number as the key?

For the current table schema,

AddedNotes= AddedNotes + char(13) + char(10) +'#form.Notes#'

HTH,

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Eschewing obfuscation diurnally.

I tried it, but got an error on the char(13) so I just did this:
AddedNotes= AddedNotes +'#form.Notes#'
which works as long as something is in AddedNotes to begin with, otherwise, it doesn't work. Is there something about the char(13) and char(10) that I'm missing?

If your database has an NULL eval function, use it. A SQL Server example:

SET AddedNotes = ISNULL(AddedNotes,'')+ISNULL('#form.Notes#','')

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Eschewing obfuscation diurnally.

Sorry for taking so long to reply back.

Yes, I would add a new record for each note, and also insert the username or id for that user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back