Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to clone Exchange 5.5 for testing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMThomas

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2004
GB
I want to make a copy of my Exchange 5.5 server which is running on NT4 to use for testing a Domain Migration to 2003 server and ADC.
The existing server is an old Dell Poweredge with SCSI Raid etc. the test server will be a glorified PC.

What's the best way to go about this ?

My test environment consists of 2 Domain controllers running W2003. They started as BDC's on our main domain and then got removed, promoted and upgraded.

Actually this is exactly what I do On proliant Servers though.

You really need the same machine to clone.

Also you need a clone of the DC to a similar machine as well.

There is a good book called Exchange 5.5 24 Seven

THis book explains in detail how to move exchange Information stores to a new server in a detailed manner.

However this does not solve the DC issue.
I guess you can make a new test sever on a workstation promote it to a DC then take it off the network and seize the roles so it can be used as a test DC off the network. This will allow you to retain the user accounts for the mailboxes. This scenario just might work.

KP

Thanks

I already have the PDC sorted, I added 2 BDC's onto our main domain and then moved them to a stand alone switch. I then promoted one to PDC and ran the W2003 server upgrade on both, this worked with no problems and I have documented the upgrade procedure.

I have now realised though that I have to install the ADC, because I am in a large corporate I probably need to test the install for the ADC.

Remember it is easier to run the ADC after you create a 1 to1 relationship for Mailboxes to Domain user accounts. If you dont then you need to run NTDSNoMatch.

In addition you need tochange your LDAP port on the exchange 5.5 Server to 390

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back