Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to clone a local database from Oracle9i to a remote 8i server on 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
Hi All,

I plan to implement a new Oracle9i server system with dual proccessors. Can I clone a local database from Oracle9i server on Linux system to a remote Oracle8i server site? If so, How can I do that? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lenka

1. Export from the 9i database using the 8i export utility.
2. Transfer the export file from Linux to the 8i server.
3. Import into the 8i database.

That's the standard way of backporting an Oracle database to an earlier release. In some releases it's necessary to run some catalog scripts to create the old export views on the more recent release of Oracle. However I don't see any documentation that this is necessary when going from 9i to 8i.

Hi Karluk,

Thanks for your quick response. I do appreciate it.
After some digging, I found that Howard J. Rogers said: "Import method will recreate all the indexes, so they are rebuilt and are not in the same state as they are in the source". So when Import/Export utility is used, they will create cause some problems, I guess. Again, thanks for your help. Please advice me if there is another way to duplicate a database beside import/export method.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Lenka

>>So when Import/Export utility is used, they will create cause some problems, I guess.

No, there is no problem. Why do you think there is?

If Mr. Rogers is trying to describe an actual problem, please be more specific about what his point is. What's wrong with rebuilding the indexes on the 8i server?

Export/import is a tried and true method of backporting an Oracle database. You shouldn't look for alternatives until the standard method fails. All you accomplish is to spend time and effort inventing complicated solutions when the simple way works best.

Thanks for your response, Karluk. Here is the web address to specify about Rogers's point to describe an actual problem. Since I have not done anything like this before, so I jsut wanted to educate myself before starting working on it.
Again, I do appreciate your help.

Lenka

I looked at your link. I still don't see where Mr. Rogers is describing a problem.

Mr. Rogers is distinguishing between "cloning" and creating a "facsimile". He doesn't say that one method is better than the other, just that they are different.

He doesn't describe his method for cloning a database, but I would bet that it works only if the target database is at the same release level as the source. That's why export/import is the standard method of migrating to an earlier release. It's impossible for the target database to be an exact clone of the source. Oracle 9i has features that 8i doesn't support. At the very least these features have to be removed from the Oracle catalog before the 8i database will function.

Thanks for clarifying the information. YOu really give a better picture what I should do. Again, thanks for your great input.
Have a good weekend.

Lenka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back