Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to clear DNS server address

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrajarat

MIS
Oct 8, 2002
US
I have a strange problem on a laptop. I am running XP pro and when the laptop boots up there is an IP address in the Prefered DNS server, alnternate DNS server and default gateway fields. They are 3 different IP address'. The problem is that the user has to clear these adress' everytime the laptop is booted then log off and log on again before he can get on the network or the internet.

I don't know where its picking the IP address' from but if I can clear them permenantly the problem will be solved. There are other PCs on the network and they are al configured for automatic IP address and DNS server.

check reinstall de tcp/ip of the notebook

to do this you need to go to network propiertis and click on install select protocol then check en use a disk an select c

c:\windows\inf

then select microsoft tcp/ip then acept,acept and reboot

hope its helps

coco10

OK so your DHCP server is not giving out those addresses. What is puzzling is that you clear them for the DNS tab in the advanced tcp/ip properties and when you re-boot the machine the entries are back...
Check the Registry parameters for DNS Entries. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip\Parameters\interfaces\ Pick the network adapter. Look for entries for the DNS Servers that keep comming back. I think this is why coco10 wants you to remove and re-install the TCP/IP stack as it removes these entries.

Another thing to check (but probably not the cause) is the host file. Located in windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Open with notepade and look for any entries in the file.

Good Luck...

Thanks for the help guys. I will try these when the guy comes back with the laptop on monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back