Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to check the temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJpn

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
US
how do you check the temperature of your CPU? I use winME.

My understandning is it depends on the motherboard/BIOS. Some motherboards have a socket on it that will allow you to put an "intelligent" fan on the CPU. Once the fan is plugged into the motherboard, the BIOS can be told to check for things like fan speed, CPU temp, motherboard temp, etc. Some motherboards can monitor the speed of all the fans in the chassis. You can also get programs that will monitor the BIOS for these and report them to you while running your OS.

If your motherboard can't do this, you may have to go with a third-party gig that can be monitored through a serial or USB port.

James P. Cottingham

This possibility should be provided with the motherboard and BIOS. if yours MB does not support it you can use special intellectual coolers which can not only freez the processor, but thus still measure temperature and can transfer this information through slots MB to special programs.

Instead of Wni ME install WIN2K you well get the temprerarure details in Administrative Tools (Computer Management)

you can get software that will chec this and display it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back