Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to check network link in AiX 4.3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

trifo

MIS
May 9, 2002
HU
Hi!

I would like to know the way of checking if network link is alive or dead. - There is no LED on the interface, thus I would need a software solution.

Thanks in advance,

--Trifo

You can try entstat ent0. Towards the bottom of this you will see if the link is up or down.

CP

For ethernet device see "entstat" command
For token ring device see "tokstat" command

Thanks, but

entstat reports the same as ifconfig does. Thus "UP" status does not mean the link is alive.

--Trifo

There is an empyric way of obtain this info.
you must run entstat -dr ent0|grep 'No Carrier Sense' and note the number
Then you have to ping the default gateway (if you got some answer obviously the link is up but the gateway could be down)
If you execute entstat -dr ent0 the number of 'No Carrier Sense' should be the same of the previous run, otherwise you aren't connected

Thanks sbix! It seems to be a good idea. Anyhow, do you know the interval between link tests performed?

Well, I'm going to check it on a working box. I mean: device reset - cable unplug - wait for a certain amount of time - cable replug - check number of 'No carrier sense' errors.

--Trifo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back