Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to check if apps is running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InigoMontoya

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
US
Currently i use "ps -ef | grep FNDLIBR" to check and see if Apps is running. But just today i started Oracle Apps (test instance). I logged in to the forms (sysadmin) and pulled up some user data. I then went back to the shell prompt and did a grep for FNDLIBR and there were no process with that pattern. This concerns me because some of my scripts depends on the fact that FNDLIBR == Apps is running. But my grepping for FNDLIBR proves this to be false. Is there another way to check in the shell (i use korn) to see if Oracle Apps is up and running? TIA

I suspect FNDLIBR means the concurrent manager is running. except for Concurrent manager, if the database is up, apps is avalable.

(was that the question?)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Yes I thought that if apps is available then that means the concurrent manager is running. I would use this in a script or something to tell wether or not apps is running. But like I said...i brought apps up once yesterday in our test environment, pulled up forms to make sure it's working. I then grepped for FNDLIBR and there were none returned? I haven't been able to reproduce it since but even if it happens once my script would be useless.
Is there another way to tell if apps is up? You say if the database is up apps is available but that's not true I have to bring them up separately.

I am on 10.7SC and so far as I know, once the db is up, all the forms and menus will work, but the reports need concurrent manager. your version may vary (it could be web based or have a central forms server, for example).

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

InigoMontoya:
I am not sure which version of Oracle Apps that you use. But generally, Oracle Apps is divided to three (or four for release 11 and above) big parts:
- Oracle Database
- Oracle Forms
- Oracle Reports / Concurrent Manager
- Oracle Web Server (Release 11 and above)

The FNDLIBR is only for the concurrent manager, and it starts separately from the Oracle DB and Oracle Forms. So, it will depend on what you want to detect, is it the Application forms or Concurrent Manager that up. If you want to detect the form, use ps -ef f60svr (release 11) instead of FNDLIBR.

HTH

Irwan

I grepped for
Code:
f60svr
and it did not return any results. Although there is an
Code:
f60srvm
process and it has a PID that's started by root not by another process. Is this what I should be looking for? Also...Would this process be the last apps process to go down when shutting down oracle applications, or at least after FNDLIBR processes, when using the
Code:
adstpal.sh
script?

The f60svrm could be run by root or the Oracle user, depend which user run the adstrtal.sh script. You can test this: stop your apps, and start it again by running adstrtal.sh from the Oracle user.
If you are using adstrtal.sh and adstpall.sh, the system will loop by the file name. If you want to explicitly order the start and stop process so that the forms server down after the concurrent manager, you should create your own start/stop shell script. The script should start/stop this following components:
1. adalnctl.sh
2. adapcctl.sh
3. adcmctl.sh
4. adfmcctl.sh
5. adfmsctl.sh
6. adfrmctl.sh
7. adrepctl.sh
8. adtcfctl.sh
You can set the order of them.

Regards
Irwan

Status