Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change the default folder for Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dina01

Programmer
Mar 26, 2002
CA
Hello I was wondering if there is a way to change the dafualt database folder with the registry.

I know that I can change it by going to Tools, Options, General Tab.

But the problem is that when they set-up Microsoft access everyone used to have a personnal folder under there name, what happened a few months ago is that that fodler doesn't exist anymore therefore everytime some lounges access they get an error message that the folder can't be found.

I have over 200 agents that have this roblem, I would like to know if it's possible to change this in the registry.

Can anyone please help me..

Thanks

Dina,
I can think of a couple of ways to change it. Of course, you can change the default directory in the registry. It lives in a couple of different locations, which may be somewhat different on different operating systems:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Access\Settings\Default Database Directory

and

HKEY_USERS\Default\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Access\Settings\Default Database Directory

Another way you might do it is to create a little fix-it database with a startup form, which runs a sub in the form load event, like so:

Private Sub setDefDir()
Dim appA As New Access.Application
appA.SetOption "Default Database Directory", "C:\Tranman"
End Sub

Of course, you could also write a little VB program to do the same thing, then "Push" it to the users.

Any way you choose to do it, you will need to either run the fix in the users' startup, or get them all to run it for you. The way our people are, forcing them to run fixes in startup seems to work better...

Good Luck,
Tranman

Hey Tranman,

Thanks alot for your advice...

I will try it right away..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back