Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change the client VG on VIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolai086

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2007
CN
I create a 10G LV (for Client's VG) on VIOS.
and now I have installed AIX on Client by using this LV.

and I found that the size is too small, I have to increase space.

Then I login VIOS, using "smitty lv" to increase it..
I can see the new size on VIOS.. but not on the VIO Client.

Is there a detail steps? Thank you!

--
Best Regards!
Hello, I am Nikolai NG, come from Carton, China. I love here.

IMHO It was better if you create a new LV with the size you want on the VIO and copy the original LV to the new one! delete the original on and rename the new one as the old.

I don't think you can modify the original LV on the fly! (have you tried rebooting the client after making the change? or maybe remapping the lv again from the vio?)

Regards,
Khalid

I'd try [tt]cfgmgr[/tt], followed by [tt]varyonvg rootvg[/tt] on the client LPAR. But I've never had to do this kind of operation...

HTH,

p5wizard

Thank you.
I knew that I made a mistake...
:(

maybe the better way is re-create a new lv..

--
Best Regards!
Hello, I am Nikolai NG, come from Carton, China. I love here.

Its always healthy to try new things! so never regret what you did :)

Regards,
Khalid

You cannot change the size of a rootvg hdisk.

Creating a new LV/hdisk and mirroring the installed OS also has limitations on how effective it will be: remember when the OS installs, it calculates the PP size of the LV/hdisk to fit up to 1016 LPs - this effectively makes the maximum size of any LV/hdisk in a rootvg to be the same size as the original LV/hdisk.

In practice (IMAO), the best way to make an already-installed rootvg larger, is to add more LV/hdisks of the same size as the original install.

I did what you're discussing as an experiment. I was never able to get rootvg to see the new size of the "disk".

This is a round-about way to fix it.

You could probably create a second lv (the size you need)on VIOS, present that lv to the client (as hdisk), cfgmgr on the client, then mirror rootvg to the new disk, unmirror and remove the original. Now you're rootvg will be on hdisk1.

Next you could cfgmgr to bring back in hdisk0....I'm thinking it will be the size of the increased lv, but I'm not sure. Then you could remirror, break....you get the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back