Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change table name

Status
Not open for further replies.

UHsoccer

Programmer
Apr 24, 2003
US
I am using Crystal 8.5

Our data base has table names such as
INC_USA_Employees
INC_USA_Offices

and another set of tables like
INC_CAN_Employees
INC_CAN_Offices

My report is based on the USA tables and lots of formulas and definitions

How can I copy that report and replace all USA tables with CAN tables.
I use nine tables, probably fifty formulas, I have some thirty fields displayed, etc, etc

Fairly simple.

Save the report under another name.

Open the new report and select Database->Set Data Location, and then point each table to the replacing table.

Your formulas will still work fine once you've finished.

-k

I tried Database - Set Location (do not see Set Data Location)
I select the table, browse for the replacement - select it and select SET
It responds with "Propagate server and database changes accross tables with the same original information?" and clicked YES

Could not detect any difference.

Please advice

Nothing to detect, it changed that table anyway.

Since the new tables have DIFFERENT names, you need to do this for each table.

Were you to have had a different database with the same names for the tables (that's how most would approach this), it would have just taken an update to one table.

-k

Note that my original poist said "Open the new report and select Database->Set Data Location, and then point each table to the replacing table."

Not just do one table. If you only do one table, then you should only see differences that one new table linked to the new tables would produce.

Finish the process and then let's read if it failed.

-k

Did not realize that the same table names, variables, etc are used but that they point to a different table then it appears.

I have verified that the "Set location" definition is correct, now I just need to get the data...

Thanks for your help!!

Hi,
It is one of the potentially confusing thigs about using the Set Datasource Location...It does it that way to avoid having you redo all the fields , etc. it just creates a alias with the same name as the original table..

You can confirm the change by highlighting the table name in the Set Datasource upper window and click on the Properties of the table..the actual name will be shown..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I have been succesful with several reports using the "Set Location" feature, thanks for the help

In another report the rude response upon execution is simply "ODBC error". I have reviewed all I can think off, but am at a loss as how to proceed.

Can any of you wizards point me in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back