Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change picture box shape to irregular shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

creativepart

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
US
Ok, here's the situation. I'm creating a picture box in a Quark doc. First the main background is a placed photo, then up against the left margin of the page I'm creating an oval shape that rests on top of the placed background photo. I'm filling the oval with black and then putting some text boxes over the black oval.

Now, this oval hangs over the left margin about 1/4 of the way. I currently am drawing a rectangle picture box on the left edge of the doc and filling it with white. This way, when guides are hidden, it hides the "hangover" and you only see a 3/4 oval hanging over the background.

I know there is a way to cut the oval in two places where it intersects with the left margin of the page, and when I do I can't fill it anymore. How do I add a new line to the two cut edges of the oval and add them to the oval shape so that I can fill it with back and NOT have to use a white box to keep from seeing the oval that's hanging over the left margin?

Thanks
Paul Green

I'm not shoure I understand perfectely your problem...
But, if you try to separate an oval box in two, try to:
1. Draw an oval box
2. Draw an rectangular box and palce it over the oval box
3. Select both boxes (mouse)
4. Go to ITEM -> MERGE -> DIFFERENCE

You will have a box with a custom shape.
Now, you can edit this shape by dragging the points.
Pressing F10 key, the custom shape will act like any other shape in order to scale it.

Sory for my english...
I hope this will help you.
ROMANIAN is the best

THANK YOU! That worked perfectly. I had never even looked at the "merge" function before.

I realized a better why to say what I needed: a way to turn and oval into a "D" shape. So I made my Oval, created a rectangle that "hid" the left edge of the oval and use Merge>Difference just like you said and Voila! A D shaped oval.

Thanks so much and your English was just perfect. Not to mention better than my Romanian (NONE).
Paul Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back