Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change MX record for public IP regstration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maurella

Technical User
Mar 12, 2002
US
A school I help recently had to change fixed ip addresses on their DSL line at Verizon. When they somehow found someone at Verizon who could remap the existing domain name to the new fixed ip address, that someone changed the mx records associated with the domain name to point to a hosted email server. This needs to be reset, and I was told by someone deep in the bowels of Verizon to talk to the manager of our domain name. They told me they don't do that stuff and that it needs to be changed in "bigguy.gte.net", which, I guess, is the authority for this record. Does this make sense, and if so, does anyone know who to contact that can do this?

You need to contact the domain registrar to change an MX record.

This is not necessarily your ISP.

go to this page:
Enter your domain name into "whois lookup" box

This will tell you the domain registrar.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

I was talking to the domain registrar. They are the ones that told me to talk to bigguy.gte.net. I will be looking for a competent domain registrar when I need to reregister.

Since then, however, we were able to get someone at Verizon to switch it, which makes sense since they probably own bigguy.gte.net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back