Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to change list box to combo box

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLK3541

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2005
US
We have an application that was developed in Visual Basic 6.0 and Access 2000. I have a folder with the code, forms, and .cab file of the VB application. I need to change a List Box to a Combo Box. I am not sure how to make this modification.

When I open the form in VB6 Project Explorer and make the change to the object, then click the .EXE there is no change to the form.

When I try to open the form in VB.Net I cannot view the form object to add controls.

Can anyone help a newbee out with this issues.

You need to compile the project in VB before the application will show the changes. (File, Make XXX.exe)

Also, you'll have to create a new setup file, as the other one is still carying the instance of the listbox.

I hope this helps.

Ron Repp

If gray hair is a sign of wisdom, then I'm a genius.

If your application has some combo boxes already (in original version of your app), you don't need to create a new set up file. You should already have all run time files to accommodate your new combo box.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Andy:

He needs to update the setup file if he's changing controls, even if the DLL is there. The setup file contains an instance of the old app to upload to the appropriate spot. (This is done when compiling the deployment file)

I hope this helps.

Ron Repp

Ron Repp,

My point was: if he already has had several combo boxes in his original, compiled app which he made the set up file from - before changing any list box into combo box, no new set up file is needed.

That's all.

Have fun.

---- Andy

RonRepp,

The setup file will not need to be adjusted for a change like this because both ListBoxes and ComboBoxes are standard controls and do not rely on extra or different dependent files (dlls etc.). The .exe will change but its dependencies (files) will not.

I knew what you all were saying, and I agree. The Mscomctl dll is standard, but you were not answering his question.

He needed to know why his new app was still showing the listbox and not the combobox. That's why I went into the diatribe of updating the setup file and recompiling his project.

I did not mean to ire either of you, because you were correct.

Ron Repp

>Also, you'll have to create a new setup file, as the other one is still carying the instance of the listbox.

Thus, you meant
"... as the other one is still carrying the older instance of the myApp.Exe which uses the lisbox

I would like to thank you all for the quick response and the useful insight. I am working thru some compile errors and may need to load and convert the entire project into VB.net.
I will be working over the weekend and post progress Monday, again thank you all.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back