Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change IIS user accounts in the registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

corpanarchy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2002
GB
Hey,

We have a slight imaging problem, our webservers are still trying to use the account name from the computer they were imaged from. (For the sake of argument, IUSR_NONE) whilst the systems are called something else.

Does anyone know of a way to change local account/group names in the registry? I know you can for the system name. I can't seem to find the entries for IUSR using the regedit search facility. I'm probably missing something, can anyone help? Truth be told, I'm not sure it's hurting anything but I'm looking into it. (Side issue) This is the cosmetic bit and Google, alas, had no answers for me within the first 5 pages.

Please, please, please don't do like the last guy and post a KB article. Just the link.

Thanks,
Tiffany

As quoted from the IIS Insider on MS WebSite;

There is some housekeeping you need to perform when you change the server name on an IIS 4 server, as detailed in IIS 5 however is a different story, and I’ve often changed the server name of Windows 2000 server running IIS 5 with no adverse effects whatsoever; nevertheless, this should not be done casually.

To change the server name, right click My Computer, select Properties, then click Network Identification. Next, click the button labeled Properties to see the Computer Name field.

After making such a change, keep in mind that the server name and IUSR_<servername> and IWAM_<servername> user accounts will reflect the old server name. They are not updated to reflect the new server name. This is of no concern to IIS, and anonymous authentication (as well as out of process applications running as the IWAM account) will still operate without difficulty. Some modifications will be required if you have remote applications, such as remote MMC consoles, scripts, or terminal services clients looking for the old server name. Additionally, clients that use file shares on the IIS server to publish content will need to update their shared folder connections with the new server name.

Keep in mind that a Windows 2000 server with Certificate Services installed cannot have its identity changed. You must uninstall Certificate Services before you can change the computer name of the computer, join, or leave a domain.

Try searching through the registry 'F3' for occurances of the string you want to change.

itsp1965 : I'm well aware of how to change a computer name in 2000 but, *thanks* for that.

I'll restate, I know the impact is only cosmetic but do you know how to do it? Or can you? Is this something that needs to be done via an AD metadata tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back