Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change date and tima on VIO Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelsche

MIS
Sep 5, 2001
DE
Hi,

how can I change date and time in a VIO Server Partition?
If I call the date command as padmin user I can show the date and time, but if I want to change it say's that I have to be root to change the date and time.

So the question is how to become root or do I have to live with a VIO Sever with a date in 1970??

TIA
Axel

You need to become root. I take it you're not the admin of the box? If not, get in touch with whoever is and explain your problem. A date of 1970 sounds as if the date has never been set since installation (ie many systems take their 'origin' as 1970).

Hi Ken,

I am the admin, but the VIO Server is delivered with a restricted Shell and the User for administration is padmin.

I don't know a way to become root on a VIO Server Partition.
If anybody knows how to become root on a VIO Sever or how to change the date without being root..., please let me know.

TIA
Axel

with the chdate command you can set the date!

Michel.

typing :

oem_setup_env

will switch to the root user from a VIO server - padmin

chdate won't work in the restricted shell. Switch to root, and use smitty date.

There is a way to become root from padmin, but its use is not encouraged by IBM. They may even take it away on future versions, may not even be an AIX box anymore (labspeak)...

from eserver Hardware info center:

click on "Partitioning the Server"
then on "Using the Virtual I/O Server"
then on "Virtual I/O Server command descriptions"
then on "chdate" (all the man pages are there - you can also download and print PDF books)

chdate Command
Purpose
Displays or changes the date, time or time zone.

Syntax
chdate [ mmddHHMM [YYyy | yy] ] [-timezone TZ]

chdate [-year YYyy] [-month mm] [-day dd] [-hour HH] [-minute MM] [-timezone TZ]

Description
Displays or changes the system date, time, or time zone. Changes made to the time zone will not take effect until the user logs out. For the time zone to take effect for the entire system, the system must be rebooted. All flags are optional, and the current system time information will be used if a flag was unspecified.

If no flags or arguments are specified, the chdate command displays the current date and time.

The mmddHHMM [YYyy | yy] parameters correspond to month, day, hour, minute, and optional 4 or 2 digit year.

Note:
The user must have padmin authority to change the date and time.

Note: on our VIOS (test setup), the chdate command is missing - I will update/reinstall VIOS probably next week, still at base level.

HTH - p5wizard

from InfoCenter

Note:
The oem_setup_env command will place the padmin user in a non-restricted UNIX® root shell with a home directory in the /home/padmin directory. The user can then run any command available to the root user. This is not a supported Virtual I/O Server administration method. The purpose of this command is to allow installation of vendor software, such as device drivers.

you may still need it to set the date as hfaix pointed out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back