Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change company wide email address? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwright

MIS
Apr 24, 2006
US
Instead of our company-wide email address being "everyone@abc.com" how do I change it to "allusers@abc.com"?

Should be simple, but I do not remember how to change it.

Getting old sux... ;)

Recipient policies to change it for new users. I forget how to back-date it as it were but I'm sure that is a function of recipient policies as well.

Neill

That's what I thought too, but only the @domain.com is listed; not the "everyone" address for me to edit... I may eventually figure it out but I am drawing a blank at the moment.
Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like a distribution list question. Go into the Distribution list, click e-mail addresses tab, edit the SMTP address to whatever you want.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Thanks, I did find it there.
One more question, can a new user automatically be added? They have given our receptionist the right to add users (I know, I know) and I want it to be a simple as possible, since I will have to support it.
What I do is copy a user that matches the new user's role, but I'm afraid she will just create a 'new user'.

Thanks again.

Where did you find it? Distribution list? If so, then any new user will need to be added to that group. You're going about it the right way. I would create a template user, specifically designed to copy for new user creation. So this template user will belong to any groups that all users should be a member of. Then you can be more granular for adding group memberships going forward.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

What I have done for customers in your situation is to create an ASP page that lets the receptionist enter in the user information. That info is then use by a vbscript to create the user with all the needed groups etc.

Doing it this way you can set the admin rights on the web site so that the web page has the rights and not your user. You then restrict access to the web page using NTFS permissions so that only your authorized users can create users.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Yes, AD Users and Computers distribution list. Don't know why I was looking under Exchange... Brain fart I guess.

I am doing it the way you are suggesting. I guess I will just have to make sure she copies a user. Gotta love management...

Thanks again.

OK markdmac, now you're just showing off! hahaha

Sounds kinda cool! I could have all of the groups listed and she could just check the appropriate one... Nice idea.

Actually the "cool" way to do it is to enumerate your groups into a multi-select html drop down. That way as you add groups the web page does not need to be modified. If you go this route, I suggest filtering out the Domain Admins, Schema Admins and Enterprise Admins groups so the receptionist cannot make an Admin ID.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

And one of these days, you'll show us that script! :)

Flinging a star your way, Mark, as your original answer appears to have resolved the question.

Folks - remember - TIP YOUR WAITRESS. Give stars to those who answer your question by clicking on the "Thank <user> for this valuable post!" link after their reply.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Actually, 58sniper, markcmac did not supply the correct answer to the question. I see a pattern of many stars for nothing these days. Glad you are all supportive of each other, but let's not abuse the rating system.

THE correct answer? You're making it sound like there is only one solution. The stars allow you to thank someone for their post. And, that's exactly what I did. I like Mark's answer of an ASP page that allows someone to submit the info to a vbs script to perform the task. And THAT, is ONE WAY of doing it.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Ok 58sniper. I do like Mark's idea as well. But, with all due respect, it wasn't the solution to the original question in thread.

[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back