Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change colour of graphic image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

MIS
Apr 8, 2001
GB
Can someone please tell me how to change the colour of a simple, one colour graphic image. It is in the form of a frame border that goes around museum labels, on a white paper background. (Wording is added in black, in the centre.) We wish to be able to change the 'frame' colour, as required, from the present colour.

The image is a solid 'line' image (i.e, no tonal variations) and was originally constructed in Publisher 2000 using Word Art elements like round corners and rules. When completed it was finally moved to PSP 7 to make a few minor adjustments and then saved as .psp and .gif files for eventual adding of text and printing-out in Publisher.

I am pretty experienced at using PSP to manipulate photographs but cannot understand the Colour Pallette and Layers. I have tried hard to get my brain around these aspects of PSP but all the tutorials and books that I have studied only seem to be concerned with bizarre things like 'adding hairs to a line of lettering'!

Any help with what I am sure is really a very straightforward operation would be very gratefully received, so long as it's simple! (I have got as far as selecting the colours I want, in Colour Pallette, but just can't get them to change).

Eric

You can use the selector tool to select the border. If its a single color it should just a matter of using the Magic wand and clicking once on it. That should create the ant trails around the border. Then using the layers palette add a new layer to your image. Then using the bucket tool just fill the selected area with the color of your choice.

Use the Import/Export tool to save the image as a GIF or JPEG and you are done.

If you want to keep the image with the new layer, you can just Save it as a PSP file. This will preserve the layer and the selection, so that you can just use the bucket tool to fill the area with another color as you require.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Many thanks, vacunita, that sounds pretty simple even for my feeble brain. I'll certainly give that a try.
Eric

I'm still in trouble, vacunita.

I got the ant trail and created a new layer but when I clicked on the border with the bucket tool it filled up with some strange graduated colour which appeared to be a tint version of the colour I had selected in the colour pallette.

I now seem to have got rid of the gradation and reverted to the original coloured image but I cannot transfer my chosen colour to the graphic. I just don't understand what it is here that I am missing and nothing I do will overcome it.

Please help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back