Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change a Library to a folder. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnvan

Technical User
Aug 23, 2002
US
I am trying to back up my hard disk to an external hard disk using SyncBackFree program. When choosing what to back up, it makes me choose a folder. All of my files are in subfolders of folders that are part of Libraries which are not acceptable. Is it possible to change a library to a folder or do I have to move all my files and folders into 1 new folder. Otherwise, can anyone tell me of a simple, free backup program that is only good for 30 days. All of this is to get ready to download Windows 10. I'm not even sure that is a good idea. Comments?

Libraries are basically folders.
For example, to get to "Libraries\Pictures\My Pictures"
Browse to "C:\users\jnvan\Pictures"
To get to "Libraries\Pictures\Public Pictures"
Browse to "C:\Users\Public\Pictures"
Poke around a little. You'll find stuff.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

That isn't quite right: those are the default locations for the libraries, but other folders can be added too.

If you navigate to one of your libraries then at the top left of the Explorer window under where it says (e.g.) 'Pictures library' will be the text 'Includes: 2 locations' (it may be more than 2). That '2 locations' text is a link: if you click it, a window will appear listing all the folders that are included in the library. Make a note of these and add them to your backup.

If you want to try different backup software, Google 'windows 7 free backup software'; there are several articles from well-known sites listing the pros and cons of what's out there.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back